Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #61
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85LaredoCJ7 View Post
I think it looks really clean when it's done. My tub is rust free, and I just put a new carpet kit in it.......but it's always in the back of my mind.....
Yeah, I know a lot of guys bad-mouth the carpet, but I actually like mine. I routinely clean under it, and try not to let it get wet.

Without the carpet, it feels like I'm driving a cold tin can.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #62
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Liners are great for vehicles that are only going to be in your posession for 5 years and are not going to evolve. Beyond that you have to start dealing with damage or the vehicle being reconfigured and trying to figure out how to blend & match the liner.

With all the tub accessories guys put into CJs I'm really suprised at the popularity of liner. Seems like every couple years y'all are changing how things attach inside the tub.

good luck with the paint job
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #63
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I just got off the phone with the local SW dealer and the guy I talked to agreed that the sealer should be skipped if you use the premium epoxy primer and the Genisis brand paint. He also mentioned that you should use SW epoxy primer for best results (did you expect anything else).
I went ahead with lining my tub with Monsta Liner, but miss the feeling of carpet on my bare tootsies. I am debating putting carpet back in as it will also help hide the audio cables I will be installing for the amp, speakers and sub.
Also, I'm not sure I really care about those that bad mouth carpet. Talk to me when you pay my car note on the CJ for me a few times
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #64
letchcore
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM85CJ7 View Post
I just got off the phone with the local SW dealer and the guy I talked to agreed that the sealer should be skipped if you use the premium epoxy primer and the Genisis brand paint. He also mentioned that you should use SW epoxy primer for best results (did you expect anything else).
I went ahead with lining my tub with Monsta Liner, but miss the feeling of carpet on my bare tootsies. I am debating putting carpet back in as it will also help hide the audio cables I will be installing for the amp, speakers and sub.
Also, I'm not sure I really care about those that bad mouth carpet. Talk to me when you pay my car note on the CJ for me a few times
Nothing wrong with running carpet if all the rust has been fixed. It makes the interior quiter and look better IMO. If the Jeep is not a trail only Jeep and does not have alot to hide I personally like the inside and bottom of the tub painted to match the outside. I dont mind liners if they are done well but hate fadded liners. Its a huge turn off when going to buy a CJ as it will have to be stripped out and redone.
letchcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #65
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

No rust in or on my CJ to worry about I know, hard to believe without pictures, but it is spotless. Come to think of it, I actually do have pictures before, during and after the liner was applied. I need to find them though.
Unread 01-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #66
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
SJM85CJ7,

Thanks for making that call. I actually left before you posted, since it's a 3.5 hr drive to the paint shop, and I wanted to get back in time to get some work done.

I ended up picking my SW manager's brain pretty good. He'd obviously done a lot of painting. He reiterated that sealer wasn't necessary with their highest quality epoxy and paint. Not only does it add another step, but most sealers have a short re-coat window that you have to deal with. He also said that there was no adhesion benefit to using a sealer. It's more for blending two different colored panels to look the same.

Anyway, I ended up sticking with SW's second highest quality paint, the Ultra One brand, because they didn't have the mixture specs in the color code I needed (AMC code 9B Olympic white)in the Genesis. I didn't want them to eyeball the color and not have it match the half-doors I've already painted.

I did pick up their best epoxy primer, which is a 2-part system that can be thinned with their VS100 solvent. I like the idea of a thinner , so I can somewhat control the flow of the primer.

Well, time to setup my paint booth. Good luck on your project.

Matt
paintsupplies2.jpg  
Unread 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #67
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Good evening, guys.

I've made some progress on my paint job over the last two days. I've basically got everything primed and ready for the final coat.

There are a few minor "oops" that I'll have to sand out in the morning, but overall I was very pleased with the way the SW epoxy primer sprayed. I've used a little over 3 quarts of the gallon I purchased, and I'll probably use about half of what's left on the touchups. Perfect.

Here's some progress pics. Nothing too exciting, but it sure feels good to be at this stage.

Matt
primed1.jpg   primed2.jpg   primed3.jpg   primed4.jpg   primed5.jpg  

Unread 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #68
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

And the last four, for now.

Matt
primed6.jpg   primed7.jpg   primed8.jpg   primed9.jpg  
Unread 01-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #69
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the pictures. Now you have me extremely jealous. Looks great
Unread 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #70
jeepdriver54
1978 CJ7 

I wish I was even remotely close to your stage of rebuild. I'm in teardown...
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #71
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks, guys. It's been a lot of time and elbow grease getting to this stage. Considering this is my first ever attempt at auto restoration, I'm a little blown away that it's turning out so nice!

Tomorrow will tell the tale. Hopefully the color coat goes as well as the primer.

Matt
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #72
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Looking good! Do you have to wet sand the primer before the topcoat?

Keep up the good work!
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #73
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Looking at the pictures, am I seeing it right that you couldn't get the lower bracket off for the spare tire carrier? I have tried and tried to get mine off with no luck. What a pain in the azz......
Anyways, can't wait to see the pictures of the color......
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #74
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpower77 View Post
Looking good! Do you have to wet sand the primer before the topcoat?

Keep up the good work!
Only the spots that have a drip, run, or a little overspray. The rest is good to go. I plan to seam seal everything I can reach before the top-coat.

Matt
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #75
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Looking at the pictures, am I seeing it right that you couldn't get the lower bracket off for the spare tire carrier? I have tried and tried to get mine off with no luck. What a pain in the azz......
Anyways, can't wait to see the pictures of the color......
Good eye! Yeah, that bracket was the only piece I couldn't break loose. Instead of snapping the bolts, I decided to leave it, and paint it black, again, afterwards.

The final color is OEM white, so the color coat pics won't be a large difference...hopefully a litlle shinier.

Matt

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.