Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Single or 2-stage Paint. Pros and Cons?

Hey guys and gals,

I'm beginning a complete DIY re-paint of my CJ7. I've decided to start with the half doors that I picked up off of CL a few days ago. As you can see, I've stripped the trim and hardware and am ready to start prepping.

I'm sticking with the original AMC white, whatever that is...I haven't gotten that far, yet. Here are my questions:

1. Single or 2-stage? Which do you prefer, and why?

2. I don't have access to sand-blasting, so what's the next best method of prepping the parts? Will scuffing the existing paint with a wire wheel and sand paper provide an adequately primed surface, or....?

3. What minimum room temperature do I need to maintain while spraying?

Thanks,

Matt

sprayguns.jpg   halfdoors1.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
SCRMBLD
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Single stage is what I prefer for any off-road vehicle. Any scratches and dents are easily touched up with single stage. I'm planning my next build, and good friend, and long-time autobody man, told me about a PPG single stage with a life-time guarantee. He's used it on the shop trailer (black & red) that sits outside. After 5 years in the elements, it still looks damn good. That's what I'm going with.

Since you're going with a simple color (white), I'd highly recommend a good quality single stage.
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

We all have our Jeeps for different reasons, and that's why my answer might not be yours. But here's what's right for me... MY main concern is "Arizona Pinstripes". I trail Jeep a lot and go down some that haven't been maintained in years and are often overgrown. For me, I'm prepared to pass on a clearcoat so that I can polish out the scratches more easily. (Or so I've been told) My Jeep is not as shiny as a lot of others, but I do keep it waxed and I do my best to repair all my paint chips. That's the same reason I've passed on a metallic color. (They sure do look nice though.)

If it were me trying to decide, I'd first figure out what I'm going to do with my Jeep and then decide on what kind of a finish I'm going with.

Oh, and there's nothing quite as striking as a nice crisp white! (Except maybe yellow with a black soft top... )
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Keep a wire wheel away from any external surfaces. Use sanding or chemical stripping only.

Single vs 2 stage comes down to budget and expectations. If you're gonna colorsand and buff the heck out of it then you really want the clearcoat.

Honestly I might lean toward the 2 stage just cause there's so many people that use white enamel to hide poor bodywork.

Minimum temp is debateable but I wouldn't spray below 50. The higher the temp the better the paint flows out once it's laid down, so the colder it is the more orange peel.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Great info gentleman, and fast too!!

Jim, just so I'm clear, if the existing surface and paint is good, I do a light sanding (320 grit), then final color? Or do I still need a primer coat first?

Also, I notice some guys use a silver coat under the final coat. Does that provide some special effect, or would it not be noticeable with white?

Thanks, again, you guys are unbelievable.

Matt
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I personally would just scuff those doors with some 400 and shoot some sealer over them. The sealer will help with any incompatibility issues between what is on there and what you are putting on over it.

Then apply the single stage paint right over the top with a hardener.

If the rest of your Jeep doesn't have clear coat, you will see the difference in the paint. As said, single stage is also easier to lay down, more forgiving if you get runs or boogers in it while spraying and easier to fix when you do get scratches in it.

Just my $.02
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
Great info gentleman, and fast too!!

Jim, just so I'm clear, if the existing surface and paint is good, I do a light sanding (320 grit), then final color? Or do I still need a primer coat first?

Also, I notice some guys use a silver coat under the final coat. Does that provide some special effect, or would it not be noticeable with white?

Thanks, again, you guys are unbelievable.

Matt
Primer is only needed if you sand through to bare metal, if you need to use some plastic filler or need to fill some fine scratches.

Wet sand them with 400 and seal them. Shoot paint directly over the sealer. You shouldn't even have to sand the sealer if you lay it on right.

A silver base coat will make the white pop more, but may not be needed. You may have to spray an extra coat or two over the blue to hide it. It goes on first and then the white coat(s) over the top.

One more thing: Unless you remove the hinges and spray the doors and hinges separately, mount those doors and get them all lined up prior to shooting them with paint.

If you have to adjust them after you paint them, the blue will show when you move the hinges. I personally would shoot them separately, but that's just me.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Thanks, Stan.

I'm sold on the single stage. I'm assuming the original paint on my "81 is single, correct? Either way, as stated, eventually the whole Jeep will get new paint, so matching won't be a concern.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Primer is only needed if you sand through to bare metal, if you need to use some plastic filler or need to fill some fine scratches.

Wet sand them with 400 and seal them. Shoot paint directly over the sealer. You shouldn't even have to sand the sealer if you lay it on right.

A silver base coat will make the white pop more, but may not be needed. You may have to spray an extra coat or two over the blue to hide it. It goes on first and then the white coat(s) over the top.

One more thing: Unless you remove the hinges and spray the doors and hinges separately, mount those doors and get them all lined up prior to shooting them with paint.

If you have to adjust them after you paint them, the blue will show when you move the hinges. I personally would shoot them separately, but that's just me.
Stan, fortunately the hinges are adjusted as I tried to remove them and I couldn't get those damn star-headed screws to budge. I actually wanted to replace them with stainless to match what's on my Jeep, but I've decided that's not necessary.

Any particular sealer you recommend?
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

One more thing: Use red Scotchbrite to scuff the insides of the doors and anywhere where sandpaper is not practical.

You want to give the new paint something to "bite" into.

Hang the doors the same orientation that they will be on the Jeep and spray it that way. While you are only painting single stage white, it is important for most panels to be sprayed in the orientation they will be when bolted to the vehicle. That is especially true for metallic paint.

I only use PPG supplies so I can't really tell you what will work for your application. I'll bet just about anything you could get locally will work.
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Not all primers are sealers but no matter what you do you need a sealer coat between the old finish and new. From a functional standpoint this means you're gonna prime it.

If you don't have a longboard, get one. On those flat surfaces use the longboard to knock the pimples off the primer/sealer before topcoat.

Google yourself a tutorial on using the longboard but basically it means you're doing equal strokes in an X pattern.

good luck!
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Foundrydude,

The longboard is on my list of supplies to pick up, today. Thanks!

Yesterday, I sprayed the panels and handles. I got a little lazy and used a rattle can, but I think they look pretty good!!

Off to the paint-supply store. I'll try to keep my progress posted.

Matt
halfdoorhandles.jpg   halfdoorpanels.jpg  
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #13
CSP

What paint supply store are you using Matt? Just curious.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I was gong to the auto paint supply in Colorado Springs, unless you have a better recommendation.

Is there anything in the Parker area?

Matt

Edit: Actually, strike that, the Sherwin Williams in Parker is probably closer.
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Whew!! After 5 hours of windshield time and a half tank of gas, I'm back home with this bag of goodies, or should I say gold? It doesn't look like much for $400! Damn this stuff is pricey.

I bought Sherwin Williams Ultra One single stage. It's their second highest quality auto paint. Their highest grade is only packaged for large "fleet" orders, so I would have had to buy way more than I needed. Hopefully this is good stuff, we'll see.

Tomorrow, the fun begins. HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!

Matt
paintsupplies.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.