Side marker lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Side marker lights

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSave 17.76% for the 4th of july with ruffstuff specialtiesJuly 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!

Unread 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Side marker lights

I replaced all the side marker lights two years ago. I noticed recently that none of them were working today's project was to check out the bulbs. I found a weird black corrosion that had totally ate up the contacts in the sockets and even ruined the bulbs. At most these parts are 2-3 years old. Not happy

100_3897.jpg   100_3898.jpg   100_3899.jpg  
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I filled my sockets with dielectric grease hoping to avoid that. Especially on the aftermarket sockets I got, they are very low quality compared to OEM.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I went through quite a few of those side marker lights. They would work for a while, then seem to burn out. I replaced it with the "reflector style" used on the pre-80 back corners.

I think it was a poor design, water would get in, lead to corrosion, then cause a short and burn out? Dielectric grease sounds like it might work
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Bulbs keep working out of the sockets and the sockets work loose from the lenses. Filled the socket holes up With RTV and put them back in the fender as reflectors. Threw the rear ones away and covered everything up with diamond plate. These things may have been DOT mandates.
bob4703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Bulbs keep working out of the sockets and the sockets work loose from the lenses. Filled the socket holes up With RTV and put them back in the fender as reflectors. Threw the rear ones away and covered everything up with diamond plate. These things may have been DOT mandates.
Won't pass a safety inspection....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Badkisson
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Mine wouldn't with one light not working....in Texas.

I bought a pair of Crown lenses with new sockets but used the old ones and just replaced one burnt out bulb. The burnt out one had some dirt in the socket so I just sprayed some brake cleaner in it and cleaned it up a bit and used the original sockets. Then I made a wrap around the socket with some tape to maybe help keep dirt out of it then they fit right back into the new lenses.

I think the tape may help it some due to where the position is..might keep some dirt out of it.
Badkisson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
We don't have mandatory safety inspections in SC. SCHP will write you a ticket for head lights, brake lights, turn signals, bald tires, horn etc. Might write a warning for marker lights but LEOs I know wouldn't.

------------------------

If it has rollup windows and A/C it ain't a Jeep. It is a rebranded Dodge!
bob4703 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.