should my lower radiator hose be cold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > should my lower radiator hose be cold?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-13-2003, 09:03 AM   #1
Marc CJ7

should my lower radiator hose be cold?

I recently replaced my thermostat, radiator, lupper & lower hoses and fliud but I think I'm still running hot. On the way to work today my temp guage was at 220 where its usualy @ 190 or so. Also the hoses were very hard and the lower one was almost ice cold as well as the lower 1/4 of the radiator and this was after a 50 minute drive. Anyone experience this before?

Also another thing I noticed while watching my guages was that my volt guage was reading 18 volts while the car was running, normally it reads 12-14. I checked the battery out and it was hissing... any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

Marc

[url=http://forum.vwsport.com/dload.php?action=file&id=2040]12.641 @ 110mph - spraying[/url]
Marc CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
Brandon Miller

if you have a big ol air pocket the pump won't push any water. No it shouldn't be cold UNLESS your tstat is not openeing. You can test a tstat in boiling water.
Brandon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 09:16 PM   #3
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

I don't want to insult your intellegence or your knowledge, but are you sure you put the thermostat in facing the right way? (if you're mechanically inclined, forgive my question).
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 05:39 AM   #4
PAJeeper

your volt meter is reading high and your battery is hissing(cooking out). I would say alternator maybe, ,thats definitely where I would start. Take it to one of these chain auto parts stores they will check it for free.
PAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
Marc CJ7

i think I fixed the overheating problem by draining coolant and replacing it with clean distilled h2o so it runs much cooler now its about a 50-50 mixture.
when I changed the tstat it was installed the same way it was taken out so I don't think its upside down that didn't insult my intellegence at all, i've made dumber mistakes then that.

swapped two wires on the alt and it brought the volts down to normal. the charging system is messed up cause now either the battery doesn't hold its charge anymore or the alt isn't charging the batt anymore. so I am going to check my chiltons and bentley to see whats up.
[url=http://forum.vwsport.com/dload.php?action=file&id=2040]12.641 @ 110mph - spraying[/url]
Unread 03-15-2003, 09:20 PM   #6
SamFromCO

Brandon Miller has it right I'll bet. It's real easy to get an air bubble in the system and keep it from circulating water. If you take one end of the heater hose that attaches to the water inlet off while you are filling the system it will allow the air to escape and avoid the bubble.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
Marc CJ7

Quote:
Originally posted by SamFromCO
Brandon Miller has it right I'll bet. It's real easy to get an air bubble in the system and keep it from circulating water. If you take one end of the heater hose that attaches to the water inlet off while you are filling the system it will allow the air to escape and avoid the bubble.
the overheating probelm is deff fixed now, i did it by draining out coolant and replacing it with h20 to better transfer the heat. Still working on those electrical bugs though...
Unread 03-16-2003, 10:19 AM   #8
SamFromCO

I'm glad that your cooling problem is fixed. I still don't think that a cold radiator hose was caused by the wrong coolant. I think that the hose would have been really hot instead. Anyway, as long as it's fixed now that's the important thing.
As far as your electrical problems I'm not sure what could be causing the problem. The local parts shops (Checker, Autozone, Napa) will hook up a tester to your Jeep for free and that might show you where to look for the problem. Good luck.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 12:52 PM   #9
Marc CJ7

I am going to double check the tstat to make sure its installed correctly. Taking it to Autozone sounds like a good idea... thanks.

Marc

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.