Should I prime before Herc or U-Pol ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Should I prime before Herc or U-Pol ??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 09-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Should I prime before Herc or U-Pol ??

Had my tub sandblasted and was wondering if I should spray down some self etch before I do the inside with herc or upol?? Will probably be U-pol most likely.

83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
NWA_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Pricecheck

Hey man. I just u-pol'd my cj. It turned out awesome. Just took it out today and tomorrow I'm gonna powerwash the inside. Should have no problem at all.

With as small as the cj5 tub is, I was able to get 4 coats out of the kit along with heavy application to the front floors, tranny area, rear floor (in front of seat).

check out me on cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3090904
Pricecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Pricecheck

Forgot to mention... I did not prime first.
Pricecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wouldnt suggest primer although lots of people use some spray adhesive to help the wished liner to hold on better, also can use very rough sand paper on the entire area you're covering to make a rough surface.

Lets see pics after

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

It states right in the U-Pol instructions "For best results bare metal should be treated with a suitable etch primer e.g.U-Pol Acid#8 (UP07776/ UP0741)"

Last edited by Coiz; 09-12-2009 at 10:53 PM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
It states right in the U-Pol instructions "For best results bare metal should be treated with a suitable etch primer e.g.U-Pol Acid#8 (UP07776/ UP0741)"

Thanks for the insight. I might know that if I already had it. Do you have to use their brand or do you think any etch primer would work?
83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
NWA_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #7
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I would think any etching primer would be fine.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
47redwillys
1967 CJ5 

The auto aprts stores and the automotive paint supply stores have a product by SEM I think that works pretty well as far as primers go, but I have not used it under Raptor. I did spray my tub with Raptor after scuffing up the old paint with Scotch-brite and soap and water wash. Went on super, but it is only a month old right now.
47redwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
chainz
1976 CJ5 

I herculined the inside of my bronco 2 and all I did was scuff it up with sand paper and hose it off. 2 years later I have no problems or complaints.
chainz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.