Should I buy parts from the salvage yard at these prices? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Should I buy parts from the salvage yard at these prices?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Diluted
1977 CJ7 

Should I buy parts from the salvage yard at these prices?

So I went by the u-pull here yesterday and they had a 1980 CJ7 with plenty of usable on it. Here's a list of the stuff I asked about, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me whether these are reasonable or not. I have a '77 CJ7.

The carcass is in the 'premium' section which means they pull the parts and you have to buy 'whole sections' instead of just little parts so...

I asked about the fender flares. They were in decent shape.
Rears: $20/each
Fronts: Can't have them without the front fenders which were in decent shape, $75 each.

I asked about the wiring harness. The guy didn't really get what I meant, but he asked his guy over the walkie and he said I could have the whole dashboard (with all gauges including clock and tach, and all the wiring and fuse panel leading up to it) for $180. That seemed pretty decent to me.

I asked about the sport bar. It is one of the 79+ that bolts to the front of the rear wheel wells so it would take some refitting for my '77. $100

Also on the thing were an offenhauser intake with a 4bbl carb (didn't catch the CFM) and a couple other goodies, if anyone is interested in my asking about other parts. Soft top was on it, but the vinyl was in bad shape.

There was also a wrangler tub (purple) there, but I didn't ask about it.

The question is, are those even worth bothering with? The wiring looked fairly decent, nothing melted (like mine) or messed up, chopped, spliced, etc.

How hard would it be to swap '80 fuse panel/wiring into my '77? My harness is pretty messed up and I am att he point where it needs to be redone/replaced, and I don't really want to spend the $500 on a painless.

Thanks for any and all opinions and advice!

Diluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Wellllllllllllllll... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It depends on how badly you need the parts, how available they are in your area, and maybe the condition of the parts. If you don't need a dash board or gauges then $180 is toooo much money. After you buy the part how much work do you have to do to it to make it look good? That's something else to consider. Can't imagine a JY not selling the flares separately!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

there not many in the junkyard so grab what you can afford, especially tubs fenders windshield frames
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Diluted
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Wellllllllllllllll... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It depends on how badly you need the parts, how available they are in your area, and maybe the condition of the parts. If you don't need a dash board or gauges then $180 is toooo much money. After you buy the part how much work do you have to do to it to make it look good? That's something else to consider. Can't imagine a JY not selling the flares separately!
My dash is in good shape, but I have no tach or clock, and my other gauges are... rough, but usable. This dash was in not great shape but had a stainless cover over the middle part. What I was really after was the wiring, and that doesn't seem too bad for a whole wiring harness. The dash and gauges would really just be gravy.

My fenders are a bit rough with some cracks, but I am not too concerned about that stuff, the flares are what I wanted as a CJ just doesn't look right to me without them. I don't really want the extra fenders, to be honest. I suppose I could sell them without the flares and make some money back?
Diluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diluted View Post
My dash is in good shape, but I have no tach or clock, and my other gauges are... rough, but usable. This dash was in not great shape but had a stainless cover over the middle part. What I was really after was the wiring, and that doesn't seem too bad for a whole wiring harness. The dash and gauges would really just be gravy.

My fenders are a bit rough with some cracks, but I am not too concerned about that stuff, the flares are what I wanted as a CJ just doesn't look right to me without them. I don't really want the extra fenders, to be honest. I suppose I could sell them without the flares and make some money back?
Just for reference, check CL for CJ parts in your area. See what you can find. Check with MoC (username) and see what he has. He parts out CJs. I think you can do better than what your JY is asking if you have the time.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Flares are less than $100 for a full set of new ones.
You would be tied up almost $200 into used ones. Sell the fenders (worth??), and recoup some. But is it worth it in the end?
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Prices look good if you need the stuff, but its to high to flip it and make it worth your time IHO.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

Think I would want to pull the harness myself, cause I can just picture the yard guy pulling it out, a yank and a pull, still won't come, pulls out the side cutters and here's your harness.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
CSP

A new 12 circuit harness from EZ Wiring is $170. www.ezwiring.com
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.