should I buy this CJ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > should I buy this CJ???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-05-2002, 07:03 PM   #1
A.S.

should I buy this CJ???

It's a 1978 CJ7 2 years since rebuild. SB chevy engine, TH400 tranny, Ford 9" rear axle with 4:11 posi. Toyota land cruiser front axle with four piston calipers. Two inch susp three inch body lift, new 33" mud kings, new battery and alt. Soft top and hard top. over $8000 in reciepts asking $5000 CanD (approx $3200 USD) OBO. The Jeep Looks great, I'll try to het some pics in, but, I'm a little worried about the swapped engine that I may have difficulties fixing things since all the parts are swapped in. I heard that there are plenty of these engines around and lots of parts available. I have to make a decision by the weekend. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Unread 08-05-2002, 07:13 PM   #2
Boggy Bottom

Well advice is free. The real value is what you see in it.

I say don't buy this Jeep if you have any reservations about it. Is this your first Jeep? if so, get one that is totally stock. Use your time with it to familiarize yourself with Jeeps and what they can do, and more importantly, what you can swap in/out with other components.

If you are a first-timer, I suggest going with a close-to-stock setup, just for ease of use.
Unread 08-05-2002, 07:28 PM   #3
A.S.

I already have a 1990 YJ. I'm no mechanic, but I'm familiar with Jeeps. I jast have a CJ fever and am selling my 4banger and looking for a CJ.
Unread 08-05-2002, 09:33 PM   #4
85chevycaprice

A.S. I think you should by the jeep. Some people on here do not know what they are talking about.
Unread 08-05-2002, 10:09 PM   #5
hollywood

It sounds like a deal for what it is, but you're buying something built out of parts that weren't intended to go together. This could cause you some headaches if something breaks and you don't know the origional application for the part. Besides, building them up is the fun part - way better than buying the end result of someone else's project. Just my $.02

By the way, is that 85 caprice on a jeep chassis?
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2002, 12:16 PM   #6
Hooch

Quote:
Originally posted by 85chevycaprice
A.S. I think you should by the jeep. Some people on here do not know what they are talking about.
And this comes from a guy who wants to lower his Jip... Bwahahahaaaaa
Unread 08-06-2002, 12:26 PM   #7
MR.CJ-7

Sounds like a fair deal to me.

You can always change things that you don't like.
Unread 08-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
Steelhead

A.S. you should watch the pendulum,your eye's are getting heavy.You are feeling very tired,you should not buy the jeep you should tell me were it is and give me the phone number of the owner. Just kidding, it sounds like a good eal and you can get Chevy parts any where. I'd check it over good and if you don't find a rusted frame or some thing bad I'd buy it.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2002, 02:48 PM   #9
A.S.

The engine is a Chevy 267 V8. I'm not familiar with this engine, does anyone know if this is a good engine for Jeeps.
Thanks guys.
Unread 08-06-2002, 06:48 PM   #10
cj5v8

Does Canada allow engine swaps into vehicles that never offered that engine? If so, I am surprised.
I have had real good luck with my swap. Of course it is not the same model of jeep.
The jeep "engine room" is plenty large enough to handle a small block bow tie. There are tons of parts (both aftermarket and oem), so you have the ability to modify. Why not?

Brad
D30 front/D44 rear w/lockright
cj5v8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2002, 10:35 PM   #11
A.S.

I live in North Vancouver British Columbia, On the Rocky Mountains and we have some of the craziest off-roading here. This place is packed full of Swapped and heavily modified Jeeps and other 4x4s. The only problem is that they have to pass emissions testing, but a lot of these guys know little cheats to overcome that.
Unread 08-07-2002, 02:39 AM   #12
Hippo393

Rampart! Rampart!

A.S.
Mixed feelings here. Few of us here know about Chevy engines, so maybe you're asking the wrong folks. V8s are very nice, but get crappy gas mileage. It depends on what you want the Jeep for. Chevy parts, if needed, are much much more easy to acquire. Not sure the advantage of the Toyota axle....I'm curious as to why the seller is selling it. Read past the standard "oh, my wife's having a baby and we need the money" garbage. In the U.S., failed smog-check (required emmissions testing) is a great reason to sell, and the buyer inherits the headache.

Price really isn't bad, that is, if it runs well. But your experience w/ Jeeps is good, and your reservations about this one are completely valid. I'd suggest asking $800 less. Settle for no more than $500 less, and get answers to more questions. If they laugh at you, then don't worry--there'll be another epic Jeep sighting next week, and you'll be the better man on the lookout.
Keep us updated!!
-alan
Hippo393 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2002, 11:15 AM   #13
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hey A.S.

I think I know the Jeep you are talking about .. wasn't it featured a while back in the Canadian 4wd magazine? It looked like it was well built! I purchased my YJ for $5250 stock .. and put another $5000 into it since then. My gas milage on my 350 isn't great (ok .. 6.25mpg) and the 267 is the smallest of the Chevy smallblocks. You can pop the 267 out, and put a 305 in .. or 350 .. or 383stroker without any headaches .. they are all "the same".

If you don't take it, let me know, and I will try to make a run for it! (checkin' over shoulder to see if wifey is reading this )
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.