Should I be able to see coolant moving? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Should I be able to see coolant moving?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #46
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
The same situation with my Jeep when I first got it. The fuel gauge did not work, and the temp gauge would peg "hot" after a couple minutes of running.
So, I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and flushed the rad a couple times. Still showed it was overheating, so I starting thinking of a cracked block? or some major mechanical problem....

It was about that time I discovered this website, and noticed the John Strenk website for CJ gauges. On a whim, I tested the temp sender, and it showed it was NOT overheating. Doh! Replaced the fuel and temp gauge, and whamo.... working fuel gauge, and temp gauge showing correct temp.

Wow! Exactly my situation with the gauges, but glad I didnt give up with the testing. What brand gauges did you use?

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #47
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Again, guys, spit out 40 bucks for an IR gun. You can eliminate all the testing by simply finding your what the temp of the water is. they are also handy for exhaust, drivetrain, and even kitchen stove temps.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #48
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Again, guys, spit out 40 bucks for an IR gun. You can eliminate all the testing by simply finding your what the temp of the water is. they are also handy for exhaust, drivetrain, and even kitchen stove temps.
Or use a meat thermometer.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #49
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Ok, Just to be sure, I went and got an IR gun. Any specific area better than others to point it at to get a reading. Engine block? I know you said the temp of the water, but was hoping to get readings before it actually gets to the radiator.
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #50
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The t stat housing is the best. You can also check the heater output pipe, water pump, bypass hose, or even the side of the waterjacket.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #51
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Ran the motor at idle for at least 10 minutes. Took several measurements with the IR gun from different areas and all checked out good. Thermostat kicked in and kept temps in check. Temp gauge was pegged past the H the whole time.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #52
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
I've got the Crown fuel and temp gauges in mine. The temp gauge seems to work just fine. The fuel gauge required some adjustment to read correctly. Those adjustments can be found here
No that I know whats going on, I think I might pick up a set of these. How was the install???
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #53
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

I had this problem after I did my 4.0 swap.

I went through two thermostats, bought an ir gun, and three temp senders. So I figured it was the gauge. When I bought te new gauge it came with a temp sender that was specific to that particular gauge. Swapped it out with the sender in the jeep and haven't had any problems since.

My gauges are aftermarket that were put in by the PO.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.