Should 85 Jeep CJ 7 have a coolant overflow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Should 85 Jeep CJ 7 have a coolant overflow?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Should 85 Jeep CJ 7 have a coolant overflow?

I recently purchased this CJ 7 with straight 6 and was wondering if this should have a coolant overflow reservoir as I do not see one under the hood. Thanks

macg1777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

yes it should and it should be on the rear of the driver side fender. Next to the washer fluid bottle
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
macg1777
1985 CJ7 

Thanks... I guess that is something else that I need to do.
macg1777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

mine had one but leaked so i took it off and just run hose down side of radiator as old machines did years ago, seams to work ok. But I check fluid often, at least twice a year and add as necessary, am sure if i had a recovery tank I would never have to add any fluid.

While working on radiator i would install a new 14psi cap, having a radiator cap in good working order makes a difference as a weak cap will let fluid out when pressure builds up.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

My 84' with a 258 didn't come with one from the factory, only had a drain hose that ran down along the side of the radiator and emptied onto the driveway for all your household pets to lap up. I'll be adding one when the body gets back onto the frame though.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

keith,

got me to thinking maybe my 84 did not have a coolant expansion tank, I knew I took off the windshield washer tank because it leaked. That maybe that was the tank I was thinking about.

So I went to the barn and checked, yes mine had a coolant tank and it is still down at the barn.

Looks like this one.
Expansion Tank - Auto Parts Warehouse Replacement

Someday I may order a replacement coolant tank, but I use my jeep mostly on the farm, it hardly ever gets to go to town.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

My 84 has one on the drivers side fender.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

My 85 CJ7 (2.5) had no coolant overflow, just the hose draped over the side of the radiator. It has one now, however, a cleaned-out gas tank from a snowblower, with vented lid.

My washer reservoir leaked, also. The washer reservoir from a mid-80's Nissan Pathfinder fits the spot above the ignition module, almost too perfectly. Hey, it's what I had at hand.
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillobite View Post

My washer reservoir leaked, also. The washer reservoir from a mid-80's Nissan Pathfinder fits the spot above the ignition module, almost too perfectly. Hey, it's what I had at hand.
You could have been an engineer with AMC,

Although I am a stickler for OEM with most things, I absolutely love finding stuff from other makes that fits and or functions better than stock. I feel sorry for whoever ends up with with my crap, I'm not leaving the decoder ring.

My 85 had one at some point, but was removed by the PO. Replacing it was one of the first things I did to it.

Keep in mind that the rad caps are different for expansion and non expansion systems.
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

My jeep didn't come with one either...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Keep in mind that the rad caps are different for expansion and non expansion systems.
Well, crap, what's the difference? Pressure rating?
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #12
JCJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillobite View Post
Well, crap, what's the difference? Pressure rating?

No, the cap for the expansion set up has a seal that contacts the top flange of the rad neck, the non recovery style will only have the "gasket".

Not sure if this picture will link or not..
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 02:25 AM   #13
kyle1228
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Mine's a 78, & it didn't, hah. Had to put one in. Took me about 5 minutes.
kyle1228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #14
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

lol this tread made me go look at the new jeep, doesnt have one, added to the list of item to move over from my old jeep
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #15
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
No, the cap for the expansion set up has a seal that contacts the top flange of the rad neck, the non recovery style will only have the "gasket".

Not sure if this picture will link or not..
I've got the right one, then. Maybe mine was supposed to have a tank, and someone put in a older radiator. It wouldn't surprise me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.