Shortening the steering shaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shortening the steering shaft

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

Shortening the steering shaft

I would like for my steering wheel to be about 2 or 3 inches closer to the dash. I'm 6'1 and thick. I fit fine in my 5 but would like to be more comfy in my drivers seat. Has anyone ever shorten the colum?

3S00W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

wouldn't it be easier to move the seat back?
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

Cj5 seat is as far back as it'll go. Thought of that alrdy. Thx.
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
titomars
1981 CJ7 

i am 6-4 and when i was shopping for a jeep looked a few 5's and quickly discovered i am not the best fit for one. the only working solution i came up with was cutting the fenderwell and making it shorter so the seat could mount further back. but gave up on that idea and i just decided to go with a 7. you might look into swapping steering columns and getting a tilt column.
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

It seems pretty straight-forward just thinking about it. If you do it, make a thread. Here is possibly another option. Buena Suerte!

Wheelhouse Notch | SSDutch CJ6 Jeep Blog | Boyink!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm not thrilled about the wheel well trick. Is anyone in the know on how the OEM is for the steering column? If it's GM, you think swapping for a shorter GM column is an idea?
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The steering column can be moved forward (and downward) by loosening the two bolts at the left and right of the base. The steering shaft will keep it from going very far.

The steering shaft is two piece and can be shortened. It is held together by two nylon "rivets" that allow it to collapse in case of a collision.

1. You can melt, drill, or punch them out to separate the two pieces.
2. Cut the inner shaft to the desired length.
3. Reassemble and drill your new holes on the inner shaft to insert the new nylon "rivets" or pins.
4. Insert the new pins
5. Move the column to its new location.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
The steering column can be moved forward (and downward) by loosening the two bolts at the left and right of the base. The steering shaft will keep it from going very far.
I'm just looking for two or three inches here. you sound like someone who's maybe attempted this. Do you think that alone will get me the two or three inches w/o getting into cutting up the shaft?
Unread 10-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

No. I think the best you could get would be 1 inch.

To get 2 or 3 inches you'll need to cut the shaft.

You could look at aftermarket shafts but they're expensive and I don't know if they'll give you what you want.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
Deadman 94 xj
1977 CJ5 

There is a big difference between my tilt column and my buddy's 74 non-tilt column for what it's worth.

If you do not have the tilt column I'd highly recommend that route and also buying a Grant wheel or similar with a shallow dish. The stock dish on mine was 3-4" deep IIRC. It was also 14.5" in diameter. I replaced it with a Grant wheel of 13" and 0" dish.

I'm only 6' 220 but I fit with room to spare.
Unread 10-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

I thought the steering wheel could help a little. I have a tilt and it can help some but not enough to get comfy.
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
Newjeep75
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3S00W View Post
I would like for my steering wheel to be about 2 or 3 inches closer to the dash. I'm 6'1 and thick. I fit fine in my 5 but would like to be more comfy in my drivers seat. Has anyone ever shorten the colum?
I had a '75 CJ5. I'm 6'2" and way too tall for the truck. I had my mechanic shorten the steering column by 4 inches. He never said that he had any problems and I think it was under $100.00 to do it. So it seems like an easy thing to do.

Then I cut out the rear wheel wells. Gained another 4 inches. After that everything was perfect, lots of room.

Todd.
Newjeep75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newjeep75 View Post
I had a '75 CJ5. I'm 6'2" and way too tall for the truck. I had my mechanic shorten the steering column by 4 inches.
The column in your '75 (if it's the factory column) is quite a bit different and simpler thant he OP's '80 column.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
Newjeep75
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The column in your '75 (if it's the factory column) is quite a bit different and simpler thant he OP's '80 column.
Yup, could be. But I would take to a mechanic you trust for a quick quote. Couldn't hurt.
Newjeep75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
3S00W
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
Well I've been at this for two nights now and I cant get it to move forward or back... hmm, iders...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.