Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

shocks getting crushes!!

802 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rckjeep 
#1 ·
anybody have any experience with their front shocks getting crushed from the front disk brakes? ill post pics later, but the sides of my shocks are crushed inwards. my steering stops before it hits them, so the only thing i can think of is when im coming into a ditch or somthing and there is force on the wheel from outside.

2.5" rubicon express lift w/ the shocks it came with.....i think doestch
the rubicon express springplates are a little wider than the stock ones

#2 ·
The only occurrence I had with dent front shocks was on my 86 when the front suspension would shift excessively side to side and the axle bumper plate would crush into the inner side of my shock. I ground that section back and removed about an inch and rounded the edge.....no more problem.....never seen the disk brake do it though.

#5 ·
it has nothing to do with the bumpstops.....i flexed it out and had the wheel turning all the way and there was room inbetween the shock and the brakes

#7 ·
There is a "stop" between the steering knuckle and the C on the front housing. It is a bolt with a nut to lock it. It can be adjusted to stop the steering from turning too far and allowing the collision between the caliper and the shock.

#8 ·
CJ51973 said:
There is a "stop" between the steering knuckle and the C on the front housing. It is a bolt with a nut to lock it. It can be adjusted to stop the steering from turning too far and allowing the collision between the caliper and the shock.
ahhh.i gotcha....will chekc that out........thanks a lot

#9 ·
That's about all you can do next to putting the stocks on the tube with weld on mounts. This also requires you to raise the mounting location of the top of the shock accordingly. That's what I did on a Dana 30 I converted with Chevy truck disks. It was limiting my turning radius quite a bit. I would think where all your stuff is stock it should be fine.

#11 ·
Yes I had the same problem with a narrow trac D30. But the issue was not the steering stops or bumpstops. The issue I had was because I used crappy twin tube shocks. The mono-tube shocks are much smaller and will usually have enough clearence. Try some Bilstein 5100's. I'll never buy another Rancho shock again. Never.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.