shocks: to the front or to the rear? wtd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > shocks: to the front or to the rear? wtd

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 07-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
fwharregard
1967 CJ5 

shocks: to the front or to the rear? wtd

What is the difference between my shocks for my rear axle mounting to the frame in front of the axle or to the back of the axle? Is it simply whichever already has the frame supports welded in place or is there a benefit to one over the other? I know my f150 has one going forward and one going toward the back? So does it even matter? Thanks for any input

fwharregard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I could see having them towards the shackle making a slight difference, since the axle moves in that direction as it cycles.
Enough to feel the difference, doubtful.
Any angle of the shock will lessen Its travel, also lessening Its ability to do Its job. My rears angle in toward the center of the jeep about 20 degrees for maximum travel. It also gives it a softer ride.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
fwharregard
1967 CJ5 

My frame already has the shock mounts in the front of the axle but my dana 44 that i am putting in has the shock brackets facing the rear...my plan is to cut them off the axle and weld the facing forward, but i can do the same to the frame mounts...was just wondering if it mattered one way or the other...prob be easier to just flip flop the ones on the axle since it is on saw horses and not under the jeep yet
fwharregard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hope this link works. First time I've tried to do a link
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/everything you need know about shocks work why you need them
cojab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, I tried the link and it didn't work. Go to the YJ section and go to the FAQ's. Go to suspension and the info is in there.
cojab is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
CSP

Front or rear doesn't matter. The angle at which the shock is mounted determines how efficient it works.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.