Shock replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shock replacement

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-22-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
CJ7Eric

Shock replacement

I am in about to replace my shocks on my 83 CJ7 with SkyJacker Hydro shocks. Are there any words of wisdom for this seemingly easy task? Should there be anything I should worry about or look for in the process besides cracks in the anchors? Thanks for any wisdom.

PS: I will be replacing the Leaf Springs soon also. There is a 1 inch body lift on the jeep right now.

CJ7Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2002, 08:40 AM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

It's very easy to do. However, I would, at least one or two days before, start hitting all of the nuts with lots of whatever you prefer to break the rust that has surely siezed the nuts & bolts.

Also, are going to do a lift later, or just use OEM springs? If you are going to lift it, whay would you replace the shocks now, when they won't fit after installing lift springs?

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2002, 09:30 AM   #3
rivertrout10

Ditto CJeep. If you are going to go through all of the trouble to replace shocks and springs I would recommend you:

1 - Replace them at the same time
2 - Install a lift kit vice OEM springs

Just my .02.

Good Luck,
Derek
Unread 01-23-2002, 09:37 AM   #4
CJ7Eric

Thanks for the reply guys. I am not going to put a lift on the jeep as it is already going to be lifted about 1 to 2 in. from the new leaf springs and 1" body lift I have on it already. So the shocks and leaf springs are not a lift kit. Mostly road driving for this jeep for a while. When you say bang on the bolts... you mean with a hammer right? I also have some rust ease to spray on the joints to loosen up some too. I am going to try to reuse all the bolts.
Eric
CJ7Eric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.