Shock recommendation needed for 1980 CJ5 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
pctech
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Western NC Mountains
Posts: 31
Shock recommendation needed for 1980 CJ5

I am seeking info on the best shocks for a 1980 Jeep CJ5 Renegade, with a 304 V8. Stock suspension. I donít think I want gas shocks, because they are considered to be very firm. I want the smoothest ride possible. No high speed driving, and no loads, ever. Just driving mostly on gravel, at slow speeds. I still like the Monroe Sensatrac, but the Monroe people say they donít make one that fits this Jeep, and they claim all they have for it is a gas shock and that it is real firm, which I donít want if I can avoid it.

I have been able to find shocks, Monroe and others, that I like, only to find that they donít fit this 35 year old Jeep. In particular, I like the Monroe 37021 (you can see it on Amazon), but Monroe says it will not fit this jeep. I thought this would be easy, but it isnít.

I will greatly appreciate any comments or recommendations !!

Thank you !!

James


--
James
Microsoft Certified Professional
CompTIA A+ Certified Professional
========================
My Jeep:
1997 Grand Cherokee Limited
5.2L V8, Quadratrack
========================
pctech is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 09:23 AM
CSP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 15,616
Go to your local auto parts store and get the cheapest shocks listed for a CJ. They will be softly valved as they should be for a leaf sprung, light vehicle like a CJ is. Their only job is to control rebound on such a dinosaur type of suspension, so there's no need for the latest in gases or whizbang technology.
CSP is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 09:55 AM
AZCannonball
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tempe
Posts: 21
I was pretty impressed going from Monroe Gas Magnum 34904 front shocks to Rancho 5000's. The Rancho's are much plusher
AZCannonball is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM
jeepwhore
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCannonball
I was pretty impressed going from Monroe Gas Magnum 34904 front shocks to Rancho 5000's. The Rancho's are much plusher
Then those monroe's must have been completely solid. You're the first person i know of that has called 5000's plush, lol.

'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 AM
AZCannonball
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tempe
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Then those monroe's must have been completely solid. You're the first person i know of that has called 5000's plush, lol.
They came off of a local club members stock YJ. He was putting on a lift and the stock size YJ seem to fit a 2" lift CJ pretty well. They are model RS5113. I did notice when I put them on that they had very little compression dampening but good rebound????
AZCannonball is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 10:33 AM
dirtdudeaz
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lake Stevens
Posts: 943
I've had pro comp and ranchos (non selectable and selectable lines) on my trucks and Jeep. None of them road all that great and certainly not plush. I have BDS 5500 in the back of the jeep at the moment and those seem a bit better than the aforementioned.

I have some extra cash and plan on doing Fox's up front next, so we'll see how that goes. My next choice was Bilstein if I didn't have an extra $90 to spend.
dirtdudeaz is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 AM
penster1
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yuma
Posts: 36
I am running pro comps on mine. I found no difference between them and the Orem type that were on it. No such thing as a plush ride on a cj5. Lowering tire pressure helped a little.
penster1 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 12:12 PM
hunterstroble
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: vashon
Posts: 62
rancho rs5000's on mine, love them.
hunterstroble is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 12:28 PM
slomo19er
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Go to your local auto parts store and get the cheapest shocks listed for a CJ. They will be softly valved as they should be for a leaf sprung, light vehicle like a CJ is. Their only job is to control rebound on such a dinosaur type of suspension, so there's no need for the latest in gases or whizbang technology.
I agree with this. Get the lamest shocks you can fine, no gas. Smallest piston and look for smooth highway ride details. The larger pistons have larger valving which kills the ride. Jeeps have no body weight to speak of compared to an F-350. Maybe try the Old Man Emu draulics.

slomo
slomo19er is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
dirtdudeaz
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lake Stevens
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo19er View Post
I agree with this. Get the lamest shocks you can fine, no gas. Smallest piston and look for smooth highway ride details. The larger pistons have larger valving which kills the ride. Jeeps have no body weight to speak of compared to an F-350. Maybe try the Old Man Emu draulics.

slomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Go to your local auto parts store and get the cheapest shocks listed for a CJ. They will be softly valved as they should be for a leaf sprung, light vehicle like a CJ is. Their only job is to control rebound on such a dinosaur type of suspension, so there's no need for the latest in gases or whizbang technology.
I agree with the softer valving to help as much as you can, but not necessarily the cheapest part, that the shock on these only control rebound, or that there isn't any weight to a Jeep.

Mid-High 3,000-4500 lbs wet/loaded isn't light. And, maybe if you drive on nice paved roads all the time you can get away with cheapo shocks, but if you do any trail driving, slow crawling where you are flexing and happen to fall off a ledge/rock, etc... you'll be using that compression. If we were talking an old S10 or some other old road vehicle I would agree to go as simple and cheap as you can, so I guess it depends on the driving the OP plans to do.
dirtdudeaz is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton
Posts: 2,962
I have Gabriel something or other, bought for $8/ea on Rockauto.com

I'm perfectly happy with the ride, and much happier with the cost. Four of them were cheaper than one of the high-tech whiz bang nitro whatevers. Considering that a CJ5 weighs less than an MGB, 99% of those fancy shocks are way too stiff for a Jeep, as they were designed for something weighing 3 or 4 times more.

And there is absolutely no weigh that a completely stock CJ5 approaches anything close to 4500 lbs. Curb weight from the factory was right around 2400 lbs.
Pathkiller is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 06-05-2015, 10:28 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One
 
keith460's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 6,398
I've had Rugged Trail, Rancho 5000 on my CJ-7 and they were terrible because they are gas shocks. Way too stiff. Now we run a hydro-shock and couldn't be happier. Jeep CJ's are simply to light for gas shocks IMO unless you run something like a Rancho 9000 series where you can dial-in the compression settings. I had them on my 02' F150 SuperCrew and loved them.

.
1984 CJ-7 Renegade
__________________

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 06-05-2015, 10:36 AM
slomo19er
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
I have Gabriel something or other, bought for $8/ea on Rockauto.com

I'm perfectly happy with the ride, and much happier with the cost. Four of them were cheaper than one of the high-tech whiz bang nitro whatevers. Considering that a CJ5 weighs less than an MGB, 99% of those fancy shocks are way too stiff for a Jeep, as they were designed for something weighing 3 or 4 times more.

And there is absolutely no weigh that a completely stock CJ5 approaches anything close to 4500 lbs. Curb weight from the factory was right around 2400 lbs.
+1

slomo
slomo19er is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 06-05-2015, 10:37 AM
slomo19er
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I've had Rugged Trail, Rancho 5000 on my CJ-7 and they were terrible because they are gas shocks. Way too stiff. Now we run a hydro-shock and couldn't be happier. Jeep CJ's are simply to light for gas shocks IMO unless you run something like a Rancho 9000 series where you can dial-in the compression settings. I had them on my 02' F150 SuperCrew and loved them.
+1



slomo
slomo19er is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 06-05-2015, 10:42 AM
slomo19er
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 264
Using cheap shocks and driving on rough roads, I see no issue here either. Not like anyone is going 75 jumping their jeep on this forum. If you are building a Baja 1000 rig THEN get some wizzbang new kid on the block gas remote gizmo shocks. 99.9% of us only need some $8 Gabriel shocks. Wish I could find some Gabs that are much longer than factory for SOA lifts. I'd buy them right now.

slomo
slomo19er is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome