Shock question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shock question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Shock question

Well after about 6 weeks of being parked my CJ is rolling again. Rain, cold weather and sickness all slowed the process down a bit and with the help of a fellow jeepfourm member and friend, LSUtiger, its once again ALIVE. The total project included a 4.5 inch RE lift and a Navajo break upgrade with new pads, shoes, wheel cylinders and calipers. Also replaced the drag link and tie rod with a Rugged Ridge set and did a tie rod flip.
The mono tube shocks that I ordered with the RE kit look to be to small. I am sure the lift is going to settle a bit, however currently when it is parked in the driveway the shocks are only a inch or so longer than the mount. I believe installing them like this will limit my travel. In the next few days I plan on sticking some jack stands under the frame and measuring the full length of downward travel. How much longer that full travel should they be?

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
thephiller
1999 XJ Cherokee 

they should be about an inch or two longer than full travel
thephiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
How much longer than full travel should they be?
Don't know if this is standard, but IIRC I went 2" longer than my measurements.

If you have a swaybar, you might want to disconnect it before measuring.

RE is has pretty good customer service and they will probably just swap out the shocks for longer ones.

-------
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.