Shock mount for cj7 with YJ springs used - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shock mount for cj7 with YJ springs used

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
mirage100
1976 CJ7 

Shock mount for cj7 with YJ springs used

Try to get my head around this . What do I need to mount the shocks on a AMC 20 rear and a Dana 30 in the frount . I know I need YJ spring plates but do the shock mount to the spring plates or the DIF. Do I have to weld shoucks mounts on the spring plates. The Dana 30 has a place for the shock to mount to I think But the 20 has nothing.I hope yall can understand what I am trying to ask .Thanks

mirage100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
mirage100
1976 CJ7 

Hello Hello anyone out there?
mirage100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Welding shock mounts to the spring plates is as simple as using a long 1/2" bolt, cutting the head off, and welding it to the spring plate.
If that's where you want to mount it.

Or you can weld a mount to the axle tubes. Or tabs.
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
CSP

There's no need for YJ spring plates in the rear. You can use the CJ plates. YJ plates are needed in front because YJ front springs are wider than CJ fronts. Rears are the same width.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
GPER
1979 CJ7 

This what I did when I put YJ springs with Shackle reverse on my CJ, it has bee a few years now.

I thought the dents in my shocks were from the shackle reverse, but it must be from the shocks being mounted to the spring plates. So I'm not sure if it is a narrow track problem, but some of the YJ's have this problem also I tried the shocks mounted both ways and the shocks still get dented. I'm off on rainy days, so I had time to get some hardware made.

I ordered new shocks and made longer shock towers. I'm going to use the same size shocks, since I will be welding the tabs that I made somewhere around the top of the axle tubes. I'll figure that out when I get the old shock mounts cut off and the new towers welded on. The holes in the shock tabs are small. Those are the pilot holes. I will drill them the size I need when I get the new shocks.
]
I also made a set of rear shackles that are an inch longer to help level out the front. These shackles are 8 inches in length and 6 inches from center of the holes. They are 2 inches wide and 3/8s of an inch thick. This will help remedy one of the problems that I encountered while using an aftermarket frame.

I had to shorten the towers an cut a 1/4 inch wedge out to get the right angle and yes the Ford 350 shock towers would be easier.

Had to do a little fender well trimming, but the only problem with that was the itchiness after cutting the fiberglass.

Here are the tabs tack welded to the axle tubes the pilot holes have been bored out to 1/2 of an inch. A 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt was used with the bushing that came with the shock for the bottom front mounts.

Finally finished.

Drove it to work yesterday 140 miles round trip and the combination of the three things that I did helped the little bit of bump steer I had left. The little bit of lift in the back helped the steering geometry enough to smooth out every bump going through the steering wheel. With the new placement of the shock( for mine I have now noticed some cj's already have the shocks mounted like this) and the Skyjacker Nitro shocks she drove great.

The winter is almost to an end so the meant a nice weekend for a trip to Richland Furnace. So the shocks made it through the ride with out any dents so far so good.

The rear I bought shock mounts that bolt to the spring plate that came with the REE yj spring kitfor my CJ.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

There's a few ways you can do this. First you have to see how your shocks are mount now and if you have a sway bar. In the earlier models of the Dana 30 the shocks were mounted to a spring plate and short shock towers were mount on the frame. This is mostly what you have if you set up is orginal. So you option are. Widen the holes on your current spring plates a 1/4" to make room for the wider springs. This way is up for debate as some fell it does not leave enoungh steel to be strong. Use you own opinion on this. 2nd, order a set CJ to YJ spring plates which will have the option of either 1 or 2 bolts. 3rd, you can buy YJ spring plates if you don't have a sway bar you can swap them and your set. If you do have a sway bar you can have some one weld a bolt on for you.

My opinion is if you have a sway bar and shock mounted to the spring were you will need 2 bolts on the plate is purchase a set of skid plates they are $84. Or look at the ones you have and see if you have enough room to wide the bolt holes.

As for the rears, you can just use the ones you have.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.