Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Shock lengths, compressed and extended

5K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  gazzo 
#1 ·
Ive spent the last few hrs trying to find any data on the shock lengths of the CJ shocks.

The 3 measurements i need is compressed, extended and "as fitted". ie when the shock is on the car, level ground how long is the shock eye to eye.

On many cars the "as fitted" length isnt half way between compressed/extended and im fitted some remote reservoirs OME LTR Shocks. OME arent being very helpful as the shocks aren't being fitted to a standard car (and the 2 mechanic's working there weren't born when the CJ was sold and have never seen one in the flesh)

I know there was this info somewhere on here but i cant find the thread it was in anywhere.

IM using OME 2.5" springs but getting "in the ballpark" will help for what i need.

#4 ·
Find a forklift, recessed loading dock, anything that will make a good ramp. With no shocks on the Jeep, drive one front tire up onto the ramp (or lift with a forklift) until the suspension bottoms out. Then you can measure the collapsed length on one side, and the extended length on the other.

#5 ·
Good idea but not really something i can do with the car in bits. The Compressed length i can deal with to some extent with a longer bump stop and want a longer than stock extended length to help with flex without pulling the shocks apart. Limiting straps are a last resort but id say the tyres will scrub before i run out of shock at this point.

#6 ·
When I figured shocks for mine with SOA and custom shock mounts, I did it like this.
I'm just making numbers up here, but it will give you the idea.

Measure from shock eye to shock eye with the Jeep sitting normally.
Let's say it's 18" at rest.

Measure from the bump stop to where the bump stop will hit the axle if the suspension is fully compressed.
Let's say that's 6".

That means your suspension can compress 6". Your shock will compress from 18" down to 12" at full compression.

You can then look up the compressed and extended lengths of the shocks you want.
A 13" compressed shock means you will bottom it out.
A 12" compressed shock puts you right on the money with no room for error.
A 11" fully compressed shock gives you some extra wiggle room.

At full articulation, the front shock mounts should compress a little more than the normal measurement due to them being on the outboard side of the springs. The rears, a little less.:cheers2:

#8 ·
I already have a set of the LTR's so im trying to figure out if they will work or if i need to order some new ones. Car is almost ready for rego so im keen to reduce delays (OME have the others in stock so its only a 15min drive away if required or i can get the bilsteins but they take 4-5 days)

#9 ·
We're your springs supplied as "for a CJ7" or were they for other vehicles? I asked ARB and they came up with something like Nissan patrol rear and something else for the front. Kinda put me off. Went with Ranchos, wish I hadn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.