shifter vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > shifter vibration

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-08-2003, 09:33 PM   #1
edge1

shifter vibration

My 86 CJ7 (4 sp manual) has just developed a severe vibration in the two shifters in third gear only, about mid way through the rpms. It is not happening in any other gear or at hwy speeds. I put on a new set of OME springs with about 2" of lift several weeks ago (things had been ok until now). What could be the problem?

Last edited by edge1; 10-08-2003 at 09:38 PM..
edge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Problem may be that when you lifted the jeep, you threw off your pinion angle enough to produce driveline vibrations.

However, I'd check the following first.

a) Transmission mount is failing or broken.
b) Motor mount(s) need replaced.

You could drop the transfer case about 1/2" with a t-case lowering kit.
Unread 10-09-2003, 08:21 AM   #3
edge1

The engine and tranny mounts are both new (along with my rebuilt engine). From what I have been told, the angle should not be a problem until you get close to 3" of lift. It's worth a shot, though.
edge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Take it to the shop that did the work and ask them to measure your pinion angle on the rear pumpkin. It'll take 5 minutes and then you'll know definitively if that's your issue.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.