Shifter Issues on T176 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shifter Issues on T176

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
joelwebb
1980 CJ7 

Shifter Issues on T176

The transmission shifts and works fine in all gears on my 1980 CJ7. However, once you take it out of reverse the shifter won't go to 1st unless you put the shifter in 3rd gear first. Basically, to get the shifter to go anywhere after you back up you have to move it directly to the 3rd gear position then back to neutral. After that is works with no problems.

Also, about once every month or so the shifter will slip out when changing gears. It requires me to take the boot off, remove the side pins on the tower, and the retaining clip to line the shifter back. I have used a "T176 shifter kit" to replace the worn down parts when this happened the first time to create better tension on the shifter.

What is going on? Is the problem a worn out shift lever? Is there a replacement for the shift lever? How can I fix this?

Thanks...

joelwebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
joelwebb
1980 CJ7 

Bump......
Unread 04-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Perhaps the synchros for 1st are going out, or a bent shift fork. Mind you I'm no trans expert
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
jwhite_00

You've got worn out shift lugs in the transmission. You will probably end up replacing the the 3-4 shift lug and possibly the 1-2 fork. They've worn to the point that the end of the shifter slips out between them. It's pretty easy to repair being a top-loader tranny. Put it in nuetral and remove the cover, the parts you need to replace come out with the cover.
jwhite_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
wm69

So if you replace the shift fork, should you replace the shift rails at the same time? Would that "tighten" the shifting up?

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #6
jwhite_00

The shift rails should be fine. They won't show much wear at all.
jwhite_00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
joelwebb
1980 CJ7 

What about the shift rail spring balls? Should I go ahead and replace those as well?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.