JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Shell valley (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/shell-valley-2076289/)

Ismellbacon 02-05-2014 08:40 AM

Shell valley

Has anyone used 1 of their fiberglass tubes? If not does any one have an opinion on them?

Ismellbacon 02-05-2014 08:43 AM

Sorry I me tubs., hard to type with fingers like bratwurst on an iPhone .

willymitch 02-06-2014 07:35 AM

Shell Valley Fiberglass? I purchased and installed one on a Cj5 back in the mid '80's, was my first real Jeep build.

Seemed O.K as far as fiberglass tubs go, but I've never purchased any other fiberglass body parts since, from any company. Is it because my experience with that tub/company? Possibly. I just am not too fond of the way most 'glass parts fit. Everything just seemed to be off just a little, mostly 'cause the extra thickness they have to be for strength.

I'm not sure what they go for now but I think in the long run you'd be better off saving for a steel tub. Just my $.02.

Blown7 02-06-2014 09:22 AM

I have a Shell Valley one piece nose and I thought it was very well constructed.

mixup 02-06-2014 12:27 PM

Bacon,

I am in the process of fitting a Shell Valley body right now. I bought a tub, hood, fenders, and windshield frame all gel-coated in October 2013.

I have test-fit the hood and fenders to my stock steel grille and SV tub and all seems well. I have had the windshield frame out of the box,but have not test fit it to the tub yet.

I am documenting the major steps I'm taking to fit the body onto my chassis, and will post them up when I am done. I searched long and hard for a good write up on this topic, but never found a really good one other than EXPOSED here on JF. I suggest you read thru it. I hope to be driving my CJ7 by the fourth of July and then every available second after that until winter shows up again. I plan to do a good write-up next winter.

I drove out to SV in Nebraska to meet with Dana when I was shopping for bodies. I spent weeks researching and brought along a list of questions. Dana was very accommodating and I got the full tour while I was there. I asked for some small samples of gel-coat colors and for a small piece of the Thermolite core board that they use.

I talked to the guys out in the production area, they were buffing out a red tub at the time and getting ready to crate it up for drop shipping. I was down on my knees sighting down the side of the tub and one of the guys asked me if I wanted a light. He went to the bench and brought over a trouble light and let me to it. They gave the impression that they are proud of what they do.

I can't give an opinion on SV vs. some other brand as I was only able to physically see Shell Valley tubs before I bought. I also won't comment on glass vs. steel vs. aluminum vs. lego blocks vs. whatever as there is plenty of info on that subject already. Every option has pros and cons, but, your decision has to be based on your abilities and expectations. I did my research, then I pulled the trigger. Now I'm gettin' it done , so I can DRIVE IT .:drool:

Hope this helps, pm me if you'd like. MIXUP

Ismellbacon 02-06-2014 12:42 PM

You have no idea how much that helps. Thank you very much. Let me know how the tub lines up. Thanks Pete

Pirate40 02-06-2014 03:08 PM

I have a Shell Valley fiberglass tub. I put it on in 1995. It's an ok tub and personally I think it has a few weak spots. I was never really that happy with it compared to the 4WD Hardware tub my buddy got. I had to make steel reinforcement plates where the clutch linkage bolts up. I was never happy with the top of the cowl and where the fenders bolt up to on the cowl. Check around before you buy

STM

Pirate40 02-06-2014 03:16 PM

Lines are off & things just don't line up

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sman...eb21e.jpg.html

Ismellbacon 02-06-2014 05:23 PM

Yes unfortunately 4wd is out of the fiberglass business but I am going to mention to shell valley the problems you have mentioned. Thanks pk

Pirate40 02-06-2014 07:50 PM

Where you from?

Ismellbacon 02-07-2014 10:26 AM

I live just west of Milwaukee, it is like 3 degrees outside. The only winters I remember like this are from like 1978-1982. Global warming my a**.

jetmech1 02-07-2014 11:14 AM

If I'm not mistaken, there's a guy who did a build on a blue CJ5 with a Ford engine to carry in his toy hauler that used a Shell Valley tub. I can't think of his screen name right now.

The time now is 07:00 PM.