She wont start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > She wont start

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
FishnWishn
1973 CJ5 

Wierd...took my battery out of my jeep. Took it to the parts store that i ordered an Optima battery from and they checked my battery and said it was good. had 12.9v and 512CCA on a 550CCA battery. They said it my need replacing at some point but it shows good now. The battery was installed in 7/06. Now I am putting the orig battery back in and taking it to Advanced Auto Parts Store for a complete Ign system check. Have to jump start it but I'll get it there.

FishnWishn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

I would still check that solenoid.. short across it and try the start that way, also don't forget to bump it in gear to move the flywheel alittle
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #18
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

It was the battery after all. So, I got myself a new yellow top. Fired right up after that. The best part of the day was taking it to the smog shop and she passed the first time through.
Quailguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #19
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

similar to my sisters Cherokee Sport.. she had problems starting the jeep, took the battery to PEP BOYS (incidentally, the battery had one month left on a full replacement warranty), they tested it and told her it was "good"... so, with it all charged up, it would start the jeep, but slowly drained back down to nothing again.. I came to town, she told me what they had said, so me the dummy took their word for it and changed out the starter/solenoid.. next morning, grrrrrrr, no start... I took the battery over to AutoZone to be tested .. and they confirmed it was internally shorted and drained itself... so, back to Pep Boys to see about this Warranty... after an hour of going around and round with the counter, the manager told me the warranty expired YESTERDAY, and no replacement was going to be done, I could buy a new battery if I'd like!.. told him that a young worker there had tested it a month ago and told us it was a good battery.. and the fella that tested it came in about then and said, Yes, he had tested that battery... Manager still said, NO to replacement or any compensation for replacement... We went to CostCo and purchased a new battery.. NEVER AGAIN WILL I SHOP PEP BOYS...
Unread 11-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #20
RWise
1981 CJ5 

do a BBB report!
My daughter called me from a PEP boys, they had put on an alternator for her she got a mile down the road and same dead battery problem. I got there, talked to the aaaaaa "tech" and he said the wiring is bad and must be changed, well it was setting there running in the bay I stepped over to it pulled my trusty wireless amp gauge out (did not let the tech see what I had) and up to the alt, no amps, put it back in my pocket and told him to change the alternator. After he conferred with his manager (telling said manager what I had done "I dont know what it was he had"), well his manager said "you must have put on a bad part, change it) she had no further trouble.
Take nothing to PEP BOYS!!!
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #21
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quail,

I'm glad you've got it running, and congrats on passing the smog test. There aren't many CJ's out there with fully operating emissions systems, any more.

Let us know how you like the Optima battery. I've read reports that they changed manufactures, and they aren't what they used to be. Hopefully, that's just internet rumors.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwise View Post
do a bbb report!
My daughter called me from a pep boys, they had put on an alternator for her she got a mile down the road and same dead battery problem. I got there, talked to the aaaaaa "tech" and he said the wiring is bad and must be changed, well it was setting there running in the bay i stepped over to it pulled my trusty wireless amp gauge out (did not let the tech see what i had) and up to the alt, no amps, put it back in my pocket and told him to change the alternator. After he conferred with his manager (telling said manager what i had done "i dont know what it was he had"), well his manager said "you must have put on a bad part, change it) she had no further trouble.
Take nothing to pep boys!!!
amen...
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #23
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

Hope these photos loaded okay. So here's Otis straight from the smog shop. Structurally seems good, but a few cosmetics to finish off come payday. Everyone from the Forum that has responded to my naive questions will all go to heaven. Thanks to everyone.
image-1274108335.jpg   image-1102736639.jpg  
Quailguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Awesome glad to help!
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.