She wont start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > She wont start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

She wont start

Evening gents. Got everything back on my 7 today. Tried to fire her up but only got the fast buzzing noise like when the battery is low. I checked it with a multimeter and it showed 12.51 volts. It's a year old battery that worked in this Jeep 2 weeks ago. I cleaned the posts and cables Any ideas?

Quailguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Loose connection somewhere. Check the starter solenoid connection, grounds, otherwise its still the battery!
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

Cleaned those first. Would it turn over at all if the ground was bad?
Unread 11-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

It may. All depends on the condition of the battery. The more corrosion, the more resistance for the current to power through
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

I think everything is clean. How will I know if it is the battery since it reads 12 volts? What should I try next?
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

You would need to load test the battery, or try a battery that you are sure is good.
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

I really appreciate your help. How do I load test it? I just want to get it fired up so I can smog it Monday. It's been a year in my garage and the granddaughter is getting impatient.
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

I compretely understand, I can't wait to drive mine again! As far as I know, in order to load test you would need a load tester. It basically tests the guts of the battery to ensure they're still producing a charge. Typically a battery that is bad will read less than 12 volts, however sometimes not. You can take the battery to autozone and they can bench test it for free for ya...prolly the easiest way.
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

I'll do that tomorrow, right after the morning quail/dove hunt. Thanks again.
Unread 11-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #10
RWise
1981 CJ5 

If you have a helper you can do an at home test, measure the voltage at the (fully charged) battery (post not terminal) while cranking, it should not fall below 9vdc with the starter turning. Not as good as a real load test, but will show if it is the problem, and you can work your way toward the starter to find the bad connection.
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #11
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the battery. It's a couple years old but has had little use. The part that gets me is that it was working fine 2 weeks ago. I think my dash clock drained it, but all day on the charger didn't seem to help. Only other change was connecting the engine warning light but don't see an issue there. Thanks guys for the help.
Mike
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
FishnWishn
1973 CJ5 

Looks like I have the same problem. Just clicks then no power. Charged it overnight. Checked battery- 13.9 vdc, load it goes down to .09vdc. hooked up my charger in start mode and fired right up. This is my excuse to get a red top optima battery
FishnWishn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Quailguy
1986 CJ7 

I just tried The load test in the Jeep suggestion. Dropped to 3.5 dcv, so I guess that means I can get a red-top too!
Unread 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
FishnWishn
1973 CJ5 

Advance auto parts has 25% discount on batteries, got $51.50 off the cost. Ordered it online and picking it up at the store after the game.
FishnWishn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjon7 View Post
I compretely understand, I can't wait to drive mine again! As far as I know, in order to load test you would need a load tester. It basically tests the guts of the battery to ensure they're still producing a charge. Typically a battery that is bad will read less than 12 volts, however sometimes not. You can take the battery to autozone and they can bench test it for free for ya...prolly the easiest way.
take it to Sears, AutoZone, or one of the supply parts stores... they will test it for you... also might look at the starter solenoid if the battery turns out good.. if its a manual trans, you can rock it in gear to move the solenoid and flywheel to see if its just in a bad spot..

oops, sorry didn't finish reading all the rest of the replies...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.