Shackles for military wrap springs - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-27-2002, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Jeep Daddy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lightbulb Shackles for military wrap springs

Does anyone know what shackles to buy if springs with military wrap are used. I'd like shackles about 1 1/2" over stock.

Also, can someone describe the difference between military wrap springs and standard springs.

Thanks

2004 Rubicon, 6" lift, 35s, winch, hard top, full doors, bumpers, tire carrier and rock sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-27-2002, 07:12 PM
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Cool

You can use any shackles you like. Personally, I don't like them that tall, really 3/4" is the most I would do, you start to mess up your camber angle with them, plus total lift achived is only 1/2 of the listed amount, as you only are "lifting" one side of the spring.

I'm very happy with my greaseable shackles, they do help smooth the ride a bit. Many companies make good ones, Currie, etc.

Military wraps use a longer 2nd (from the bottom) leaf that wraps around the first leaf as that first leaf is wrapped around the bushing. It's like having two bottom leaves, both of which form a circle at the end and create the attaching point to the shackle.

Some older jeeps had these as stock, but they might be overkill for all but the heaviest and hardest-core rigs. Due to the fact that the two leaves act more like one, with less ability to slide on each other, the ride is usually stiffer.

'82 Scrambler - NV4500/4.5" lift/33" Toyo MTs/4.0/twin stick, and my windshield washers work! Full 1/2 cab Cage

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
post #3 of 3 Old 06-27-2002, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Jeep Daddy

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the description of the military wrap springs. That makes much more sense to me now. Your description was very accurate and easy to picture. Thanks

2004 Rubicon, 6" lift, 35s, winch, hard top, full doors, bumpers, tire carrier and rock sliders.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.