Shackle Reversal System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shackle Reversal System

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #1
ctappan94
1983 CJ7 

Shackle Reversal System

I just realized my CJ has reversed shackles... I took them off to do my restore anyway...but can someone tell me the pros, cons of it.. and also pros, cons.. of a shackle Lift? thankss!!

ctappan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

I'd keep the shackle reverse. Moving the front shackles to be back makes the wheel go up and back when you hit a bump. Little bit smoother ride if my understanding is correct. I've heard that original setup may be better in some cases because the wheel being pushed forward can allow for more traction, but then you also have the chance of hitting your shackles which would cause you a new leaf spring. Never go over a 1" shackle lift (5" bolt hole to bolt hole). Most people will tell you to keep it to 1/2". Can't think of his name right now, but a guy on this forum has an excellent write up about steering and drive line.
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Shackle reversal was the best thing I ever did!! Rides smoother and the best thing it no longer wonders going down the road. As far as shackle lifts I have about an inch with a 2 1/2 suspension lift can't say I noticed anything negative, but there are people that hate them. To each his own I guess.
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Adams sir, What brand/model are you using for the reversal?
supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

I used the rough country because it was the only no weld one I could find. I have had no problems it's been on for about a year now. Not to mention it's the lowest priced one too.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_cj_..._reversal.html
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctappan94 View Post
I just realized my CJ has reversed shackles... I took them off to do my restore anyway...but can someone tell me the pros, cons of it.. and also pros, cons.. of a shackle Lift? thankss!!
I cover a lot of these issues in an article. The link is in my signature block.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.