Shackle reversal quesions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shackle reversal quesions

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 12-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
dn101009
1986 CJ7 

Shackle reversal quesions

What is the advantage of doing a shackle reversal for the front end. I was browsing the MORE website and saw the reversal kits.

dn101009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Smoother ride, more nose dive when stopping, um...

I have it, like it. The nose dive issue is not that bad for me. Doesn't seem to hinder it offroad.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

I love mine I wouldn't ever own a jeep without one again just my .02
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I have it. I believe I get a smoother off road drive and I also believe it tracks better. They ride better in pot holes and rocks.

There IS a downside and it's been mentioned; the Jeep will nose dive if you brake hard. If you're an aggressive driver on the road and rely on your brakes, it might not be for you. If you drive as conservatively as I do so that you don't brake hard, it's really no big deal.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

I built my Scrambler with a front shackle reversal and Rubicon Express 4.5" YJ front springs. Works great - better suspension action, smoother ride, and more solid feel in the steering. I have heard the warnings about brake dive but it's not anything outrageous or unsafe and really not any different than that of my old Dodge Ramcharger. I'm actually thinking about doing the reversal on my old CJ5 too.
Unread 12-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

Granted, I don't push my jeep hard but it drives great with the reversal on road and light trails, love it, YMMV.
Unread 12-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

As I mentioned on another thread, a local 4x4 shop owner told me he will no longer do shackle reversals for liability reasons.

He made that decision after witnessing a couple of nasty crashes at MOAB, that were directly linked to the reversal. The Jeeps were going down a steep decent, they nose-dived causing the rear tires to lose traction and began hopping, then the drivers lost control. Other standard-shackled Jeeps navigated the decent without problem.

The other problem is clearance issues with the front tires, since the axle moves backwards with a reversal when the suspension is compressed.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

the military had their m38a1's with reversed shackles. also their m170's as i had one of those once. rode very well and, perhaps due to the extra heavy springs in the suspensions on those there was little nose dive when braking.
Unread 12-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

Love mine
img_3882.jpg  
L78THUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
DoubleDown
1983 CJ7 

Is this hard to do ?
My '83 has a 1 3/4" body lift, I replaced the shocks last spring and there was no difference when I hit a pot hole or even mild bumps. It still handled just as poorly as before.
I'm almost positive that the leaf springs are the original, if I replace them... Will it handle bumps and pot holes better ?
I don't want to spend the money and be disappointed again like when I did the shocks.
DoubleDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

All you have to do is stand in front of your Jeep (not running!) and look at the front shackles while someone turns the steering wheel hard from side to side. Watch the shackles sway. That's what happens when you're driving. That in addition to the front dif following a more natural rearward motion when hitting bumps instead of being pulled forward INTO the bump made it a no brainer for me. I never noticed the nose dive (or even heard about it) 'til now and I've had the M.O.R.E kit installed since 2003. I have to admit though, it still didn't handle like a BMW. So I went with a Borgeson needle bearing steering shaft. Still not perfect. Then an M.O.R.E steering box brace (while your watching those shackles sway with you buddy turning the wheel, watch the steering box too... you'll be amazed). Anyway, short story endless... It's a Jeep and it can be scary on the highway! BTW mine has no lift, 11.5 x 32 x 15's, and poly body mounts. Maybe I'll try the steering stabilizer again...
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
DoubleDown
1983 CJ7 

I'll take a look while having someone steer it. The steering box is new, it's the H1 upgrade and at first steering was fine, now it's sloppy and binds a little. The steering stabilizer is next on the list to be replaced.
Unread 12-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

you wont regret it for on the road behavior not for 1 second. Just look at alot of other makes toyota being one they are backwards and ride smooth. |If you were here Id take you for a spin 3 friends have bought kits after riding in my jeep.
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

I'd like to take a look at all these reverse shackle CJs that are experiencing dangerous front end dive. I bet most are using flat, lower spring rate front springs, SOA, or both. Like I said in my post earlier, I'm using a pair of RE 4.5" YJ springs up front and SUA - I built my Jeep tall(er) to increase departure angle and *** dragging concerns with a CJ8. Dive is barely noticeable and certainly not objectionable or unsafe and I get full spring range of motion when I'm on the trail. I also have a significantly longer wheelbase on my CJ8. I haven't done any Western slickrock trail riding so can't comment in how the shackle reversal works in that type of terrain but it seems to be working well for where I ride - East Coast trails and obstacles, mud, and torn up local roads. Bottom line, suspension modifications need to be made after carefully weighing of pros and cons, intended vehicle use, and type of terrain expected.

Good discussion but it would be more helpful to the OP if someone out there that has actually run with a shackle reversal that didn't like it or has had some negative observations in its use would chime in.
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #15
DoubleDown
1983 CJ7 

I had someone turn the wheel while I watched and noticed the steering box move. When I put in the H1 box everything seemed tight, but I must not have torqued down the bracket bolts enough.
They are tight now and everything feels much better.
I'm still interested in the reversal. Anyone post up a good step by step ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.