shackle problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > shackle problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 04-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #16
wilf

well pro comp shipped my two brand new front springs to replace my crappy ones that are too short. i got the new ones in and they are 1/2 inch shorter than the short ones. so i am destined to a shackle reversal and move the shackles closer together so i get the right width and no more camming over and riding on the frame.

Unread 04-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #17
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Color me crazy, but why go to all of that extra effort & expense to run those crappy springs? They're arguably the worst riding/flexing springs on the market. Get your money back and buy some BDS springs.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 08:15 AM   #18
gunkysputter23

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxfirmanxX
... about $250 bucks cheaper for the kit your paying for the name.
It sounds like it's not just the name you'll be paying for, it's quality materials and a piece that actually works for what it was bought to do, without having to modify major components just to get a crappy set of springs to work. Save yourself the headache and fork over a minimum of $400 for a set of quality springs. Either that, or get the longer shackles, wait and hope that the crappy springs break in and straighten out a bit. Waiting for the springs to break in could take years, depends on yer driving habits. I broke my Skyjacker's Soft-Ride springs in in about a month or so, of course I was slamming her into terraces and any small hill out in the pasture to grab any kind of air with which to flex the springs or break the frame. Luckily the springs broke in first. But the ride is smooth and flex is nice now. I'm glad I spent the extra dough on a quality set of springs. I does make a difference. My 2cents of course.
gunkysputter23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #19
John C

I also run Skyjacker 4" springs. I just went outside and looked and my front shackle is pushed forward a slight bit sitting on level ground. Makes me think yours is deffinatley a length issue. I know this sounds cheezy but if cash is a problem consider tack welding bump stops to your frame so your shackle won't go back far enough to lock like that. Should have no effect at all on articulation. I don't see how a shackle reversal will make you spring grow any longer, so it may still lock just the same.
BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #156
84' Caribean Blue Laredo w/ black leather interior
Frame off restore 6 years ago
7 inch lift w/ 34" TRXUS MT
DANA 44 front Solid axle converted Model 20 rear
AMC 360 / T-400 / Model 300 transfer case
SOLD
but never forgotten

Quote:
If I can't hunt it, fish it, f**k it, or wheel it, I might not be that intrested in it
John C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #20
gunkysputter23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C
I don't see how a shackle reversal will make you spring grow any longer, so it may still lock just the same.
The Rough Country (I think) shackle reversal kit I installed would allow the individual to reposition the new shackle hanger wherever the installer wants, it wouldn't change the spring length. I positioned my new hangers the stock distance, but then again my springs were about the same distance in arced length. The weight of the Jeep then forced the springs to spread and I've a good angle on the shackles to allow for compression and droop now.
gunkysputter23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.