shackle problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > shackle problem

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #1
wilf

shackle problem

with a 4" pro comp lift why are my shckles folding back and touching my frame in the front? they are factory shackles. i can get them to fold back and stay.

wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
wilf

i can jack it up and cumalong the axle and straighten up the shackles but as soon as i let off they just fold right back. it was not like this until i took it out a couple of times. it seems as if the springs are to short from the rear hanger to front hanger. i will get some pics for you to see tomorrow.
wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
MudMonster

yeah pics will definately help

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #4
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

I had the exact same problem with the stock shackels on my ProComp lift. Mine were so bad I took pic's to the local 4Wheel Parts and they thought the springs might have been for a CJ5. The part #'s checked out and they recommended that I TRY a shackel reversal. I'm currently too poor for that so I replaced them with some heavy duty aftermarket shackels. They're about 1-3/8 longer and kept the springs from going over-center and smacking the frame. Adds a little lift, but nothing really noticable. So far they have worked great. Good luck
Unread 02-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollietonk
I had the exact same problem with the stock shackels on my ProComp lift. Mine were so bad I took pic's to the local 4Wheel Parts and they thought the springs might have been for a CJ5. The part #'s checked out and they recommended that I TRY a shackel reversal. I'm currently too poor for that so I replaced them with some heavy duty aftermarket shackels. They're about 1-3/8 longer and kept the springs from going over-center and smacking the frame. Adds a little lift, but nothing really noticable. So far they have worked great. Good luck
I saw the same think happen to a guy about a month ago. He has a 4" lift and looked like his shackles were a little longer and heavier duty than stock shackles. We were able to lift with a jack and it popped back. I don't know what to say except maybe the quality control at 4WD Parts (Pro Crap) isn't as good as it should be.
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

I'm hoping the longer shackels have taken care of the problem. Were the ones you saw on the trail or during daily driving. I haven't taken mine off road yet (still working out the bugs) and am curious if I have this to look forward to. It doesn't look like they could go over center the way they are now but it wouldn't surprise me. Just my luck
Unread 02-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollietonk
I'm hoping the longer shackels have taken care of the problem. Were the ones you saw on the trail or during daily driving. I haven't taken mine off road yet (still working out the bugs) and am curious if I have this to look forward to. It doesn't look like they could go over center the way they are now but it wouldn't surprise me. Just my luck

Yes, it was on a pretty tough trail too. The longer shackle may take care of your problem. Lets hope it does.

Later
Unread 02-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

While longer shackles might help, they arn't going to fix the problem. Your springs are too short(asuming your bushings and mounts are OK). You need to contact Pro Comp. It might be that they are rearcing their 2.5 or 3 inch spring packs to 4 inchs, causing them to shorten.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #9
tankcj

My 4" pro-comp springs are doing the same thing!!!...It has happened twice now. I'll try the longer shackles too.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Anti-kickback shackles...Tomken makes them. Or you can buy boomerang rear shackles for a YJ, chop the spacer down 1/2" and run them upside down and backwards:

jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

Tankcj, PM on it's way
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #12
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepskate
Anti-kickback shackles...Tomken makes them. Or you can buy boomerang rear shackles for a YJ, chop the spacer down 1/2" and run them upside down and backwards:

How do you steer that thing?
Unread 04-05-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I don't. In fact, the steering box is sitting on the floor right now because I decided to have the frame hot-dip galvanized. When it's back together it'll have hi-steer with Waggy linkage.
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #14
XxfirmanxX

I just put a 4" kit on mine no problems yet went with heavy duty shackles lookes good to me. Just for info sake pro comp leafs are actually made buy genuine suspention about $250 bucks cheaper for the kit your paying for the name.
XxfirmanxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 10:50 PM   #15
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Actually they are made in Canada by McCoy Bros. (they make springs for several companies). Pro-Comp & Genuine Suspension (and at least at one time RE Standard Duty) use the same springs from them, everyone else who uses them for the most part has springs made by them to their own specs. Genuine Suspension is 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers 'house' brand.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.