Shackle lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shackle lift question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
waller24

Shackle lift question

i am wanting to level my cj7 out. the front is about 2 inches lower from center fender than the rear center fender. I was thinking about doing the 1.75 front (rough country) shackles.
issue is i read in another forum that the stock shackle is 4 in from hole center to hole center. I just measured mine and it is 3 1/4 in from shackle center hole to center hole.

i just want to make sure i will be ordering the correct shackle lift height. Bc if stock is 4 then my lift will be .75 in higher than i need.

Any imput would be great. Thanks

waller24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Welcome to the Jeep Forum. Tons of stuff here for you CJ7.

Stock shackles for your CJ7 where approximately 3 inches center to center from the factory.

I would double check to ensure you don't have something else going on, if the shackles all measure the same. Does your CJ actually look as though the back is higher than the front? Depending on where your are measuring there would be a difference between the front and back fenders.

Again.......Welcome to the CJ family.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
waller24

ok i got a pm that stock is 3 in hole to hole
gonna try the 1.75 shackles and see

yeah i do have a bit of rake its a noticible nose down
waller24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #4
L78THUMPER
2007 MK Compass 

Get the springs rearched I wouldn't patch it by bigger shackles. Besides the bigger the shackle worse the ride
L78THUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 07:05 AM   #5
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

if stock shackles were 3" and new ones are 4", that nets you 1/2" lift.....
most folks will tell you not to go over 3/4 - 1" of lift.
sounds like you have a spring or body mount issue and shackle lifting the front only could throw your steering off.
check you body mount brackets on the frame and the one at the nose as well.
you may want to investigate your actual problem a little more and proceed from there.
Welcome to the forum. we're here to help so ask away.
using the search feature will give more info than you could imagine too. lots of insitefull folks here.
got pics?

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
duckbone

Add a leaf not a shackle.
duckbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would try and figure out where this rake comes from and remedy that. The CJ should sit pretty level from the factory so you have something going on (could be the PO put different springs in the back or a big heavy V-8 up front- something is either bringing the front down or rear end up).

Throwing on shackles may fix the rake but not the actual cause of the lean. If you determine the cause, then maybe shackles are a good way to fix it (if you have HD springs in the back and stock ones up front and do not want to spend the $$ on front springs), but until you figure that out, why put on a band-aid?

:-)
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Do not put lift shackles on the front of your Jeep. It will change your caster and you will not like it. Add a leaf if you want to lift the front a little cheaply.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
Do not put lift shackles on the front of your Jeep. It will change your caster and you will not like it. Add a leaf if you want to lift the front a little cheaply.
I have 3/4" lift (1 1/2" longer than stock) boomerang shackles on my YJ and the steering did not change dramatically (I would not go over 3/4" lift with shackles though). Is the CJ that different that a small shackle lift will make the steering that bad? Just asking because I was planning on putting some small shackles on my CJ during the build to help clear the 32s. I am thinking 4.5" center to center with a small boomerang shape (I have CNC plasma cutter so can make them any size/shape I want).
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , shackle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.