Shackle Lift to BDS Suspension Lift, FOX Shocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shackle Lift to BDS Suspension Lift, FOX Shocks

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

Shackle Lift to BDS Suspension Lift, FOX Shocks

Hello guys,

First post on here. I have a 1981 CJ7 4.2L that I bought last week. I am doing Spring Cleaning so it is ready to drive once the Sun gets here...

That being said, it has a 2 or 3" Shackle lift on it. Rides fine, looks ok and runs 33" mud tires with no rub. The wheels might be off set.

I want to get rid of the high shackle lift and go back down to stock or less than 1" shackle lifts. What is the best 0-1" Shackle to buy?

I am also going to replace the suspension with a 2.5" lift. Would anyone recommend or not recommend the 2.5" BDS?

Do the FOX Shocks make that much of a difference?

Thank you for the help and suggestions.

PeterPatrickCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
CSP

Which Fox shocks are you referring to?
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I would recommend a YJ spring conversion (since you are already planning to replace the springs and shackles, the only additional expense would be new front shackle hangers and spring plates). There are several good threads on the subject of YJ spring conversions if you search a little.

As far as shackles go, there are plenty of good ones to choose from... I would look for something made of heavy gauge steel with a cross-brace support (if you do decide go with YJ springs I would get YJ size shackles which are an inch longer than stock CJ shackles).

Shocks can improve or degrade your suspension performance. It's pretty important to pick a set that are a good match for the other components. The fox shocks that BDS sells for their lifts are pretty good IMHO. For the money though I would recommend Bilstein shocks.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Which Fox shocks are you referring to?
On the BDS Website, they offer a FOX 2.0 Performance Series upgrade. http://bds-suspension.com/kit-customizer?kid=405H

Wasn't sure if the $330.00 upgrade was worth it.
Unread 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

I have a BDS 2 1/2" lift and am really happy with it. I used their standard shocks and am running stock shackles with Crabtree hangers.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
steff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
I would recommend a YJ spring conversion (since you are already planning to replace the springs and shackles, the only additional expense would be new front shackle hangers and spring plates). There are several good threads on the subject of YJ spring conversions if you search a little.

As far as shackles go, there are plenty of good ones to choose from... I would look for something made of heavy gauge steel with a cross-brace support (if you do decide go with YJ springs I would get YJ size shackles which are an inch longer than stock CJ shackles).

Shocks can improve or degrade your suspension performance. It's pretty important to pick a set that are a good match for the other components. The fox shocks that BDS sells for their lifts are pretty good IMHO. For the money though I would recommend Bilstein shocks.
+1
steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
CSP

I'd save the money on the shocks. On a leaf sprung CJ, especially with lift springs, there just isn't much rebound that needs to be controlled.
Unread 03-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
I'd save the money on the shocks. On a leaf sprung CJ, especially with lift springs, there just isn't much rebound that needs to be controlled.
X2
Cheapest, softest shocks you can find. Car applications are usually the best.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #9
YJ8
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 3.5" BDS on my YJ. It is still not broken in so... everyone raved about the ride, I think it is stiff. Front is fine (258 and a winch) but I removed a leaf from the rear because it was literally bouncing over bumps. To be fair it is the HD springs and my Jeep is light (No top or spare tire) and removing the bottom leaf did help so time will tell.

For shocks I have Fox 2.0 Emulsions. IMO Fox or Bilstein are equal if you compare apples to apples (easier said than done). It is my understanding that on a leaf sprung vehicle it is rebound dampening that we need, not compression. The leaf spring guys with Fox shocks recommend re-valving in the range of 30/90 (I think 40/60 is stock with the emulsions). Either way Fox will revalve free of charge (one time only after that you pay or do it yourself) their higher end shocks.

Once I get my rig complete I will video it running a rough dirt road and decide what needs to be done for valving but hopefully this information will help,

YJ8
YJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
CSP

If your ride is stiff the springs aren't compressing. If the springs aren't compressing there isn't rebound to dampen.

If these suspensions were soft it or the vehicles were heavy it would be a good idea to upgrade on shocks, but that just isn't the case. Not my money though....
Unread 04-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
PeterPatrickCJ7
1981 CJ7 

I went with the 4" BDS and a heavy duty 3/4" shackle. Rides Rough now but looks and is a heck of a lot better than the gigantic shackles.

I've got what looks to be 4" of extra space in the wheel wells at least if not 6" now with the 33" mts.

With the 4" BDS and 3/4" shackle can I run a 35" mud terrain to fill the space of the wheel well?

Any suggestions would be great.
Unread 04-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #12
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPatrickCJ7 View Post
I went with the 4" BDS and a heavy duty 3/4" shackle. Rides Rough now but looks and is a heck of a lot better than the gigantic shackles.

I've got what looks to be 4" of extra space in the wheel wells at least if not 6" now with the 33" mts.

With the 4" BDS and 3/4" shackle can I run a 35" mud terrain to fill the space of the wheel well?

Any suggestions would be great.
You probably have the height to fit 35" tires, but with narrow track axles, the front tires will probably rub the frame/springs when turning. Wheel spacers or new rims with less back spacing will give you back some of your turning radius.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.