Shackle Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shackle Lift

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Reply
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Brodie14
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: utica, ny
Posts: 13
Shackle Lift

Let me start off by saying that I'm in no way, shape or form a gear head... but I'm learning, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I just bought an '84 CJ7 with a 3" lift. I'd like a little more lift and from looking around a shackle lift seems like a good option. My question is, will this change the angle of the drive shaft so much that I'll need to make modifications?

Again, I'm new at this so take it easy on me if this is an obvious question.

Thanks,

Brodie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
LT1CJ7
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: [duhm-as]
Posts: 4,512
I'll be nice & take it easy.
Lift shackles are the worst thing you can do to a CJ!
As a rule of thumb, No more than a 1/2" lift shackle.
There is a search function that will show many many answers to your question.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
gojeepin
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Riverview, Florida
Posts: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie14 View Post
Let me start off by saying that I'm in no way, shape or form a gear head... but I'm learning, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I just bought an '84 CJ7 with a 3" lift. I'd like a little more lift and from looking around a shackle lift seems like a good option. My question is, will this change the angle of the drive shaft so much that I'll need to make modifications?


Yes... the longer shackles will change both your driveline and steering angles.

Read the article in my signature block. It covers many of the things you'll encounter.
__________________
Vibration? Bump steer? Wandering? Read: Steering, suspension, and driveline basics. An article on how it works and where to look for problems.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
sanddrag
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 497
I must be the only one on the face of the planet with lift shackles and no real issues to report. Hrmm. I have 1.5" lift shackles and 2.5" Rancho springs and stock driveline and steering. The steering is a little light (not enough caster), but it's completely manageable, even at highway speeds.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
L78THUMPER
Registered User
2007 MK Compass 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 346
Also the bigger the shackles the worse the ride besides everything else.
L78THUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
RidgeRat
Registered User
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
I must be the only one on the face of the planet with lift shackles and no real issues to report. Hrmm. I have 1.5" lift shackles and 2.5" Rancho springs and stock driveline and steering. The steering is a little light (not enough caster), but it's completely manageable, even at highway speeds.
sanddrag, I don't notice a real problem either but I never go over about 55 mph and steering shaft/coupler/gear box are all tight so maybe that's why? I'm going to replace them but it's not a priority for me right now, maybe this winter.
__________________
1980 CJ5, Ford 289, T176, DANA 300, DANA 30, Ford 9", 35/10.50/R15 Super Swamper TSL
RidgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
sanddrag
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRat View Post
sanddrag, I don't notice a real problem either but I never go over about 55 mph and steering shaft/coupler/gear box are all tight so maybe that's why? I'm going to replace them but it's not a priority for me right now, maybe this winter.
Yeah, I've been up to 75 or so without worry. It probably helps to have a swaybar, poly bushings, and relatively stiff springs and shocks.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.