Shackle & Bushing Selection Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Shackle & Bushing Selection Help

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Daves86cj
1986 CJ7 

Shackle & Bushing Selection Help

I need to replace all the shackles and bushings on my CJ. The good news is that I was able to loosen all but one bolt (twisted the nut off, grrrrrr..). Now all I need to do is order the parts.

I'm beginning to realize that it often takes longer to research and decide on which parts to order than it take to do the actual job! Also, the surprising number of choices and opinions can be confusing and frustrating!

My CJ7 is strictly a street vehicle, no serious off-road use. The suspension is stock, no lift. The shackles were frozen solid until I was able to break loose the bolts and now they move a bit (better ride already). I just want a nice set of front and rear greaseable shackles (poly) and the associated hanger bushings and greaseable bolts.

I've kind of settled on Rubicon RE2781 and RE2782 front and rear shackle kits which can be had for $75 each with free delivery from Quadratec and others. I can't seem to find a matching Rubicon kit for the other end of the springs, the hangars. It seems it would make sense to keep the parts from the same company. Even if I buy another brand of bushings and bolts for the hangars the total cost should be around $200 which isn't bad. Any suggestions?

Quadratec says that the shackles are 1" oversize giving a 1/2" lift, but then they say the shackles measure 4.5" center to center. My stock shackles measure 3" C2C. This would be a 3/4" lift according to what I have read on the forum. The real question is can I do a 1/2-3/4" lift without causing myself any other problems to the suspension or driveablitity. I don't really care about the lift, just want the cj to ride and steer better.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated

Daves86cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
Daves86cj
1986 CJ7 

Just wondered....

I was just thinking about my post and wondered if all other things being equal, do longer shackles allow the springs to flex easier? Seems like they would.
Daves86cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves86cj
I was just thinking about my post and wondered if all other things being equal, do longer shackles allow the springs to flex easier? Seems like they would.
Only if the springs have the length and flex to utilize it. On a jeep with stock springs longer shackles typically do more harm than good if they are more than an inch longer than stock.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

I like my stock shackles with rubber bushings. With Crabtree hangers that will never break, I consider the shackles as a fuse. Easier to replace than a hanger and cheap enough to carry a spare. And they ride great.
shackle-2-better-.jpg

Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have the 1" longer YJ shackles on mine that give the 1/2" lift with no issues on stock re-arched springs. The steering still behaves OK.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves86cj View Post
Yes, they allow more droop, but, if it's a short spring(little arch) they could limit compression once the spring is flattened out.

A 1" longer shackle will not hinder your steering, provided your caster was not out of whack to begin with. I used a 2" longer shackle on a Jeep that was only 2 years out of the factory with no issues for well over 10 years. It's best to check your caster to see where your at. Ideally it's 5-7 degrees for the later year Jeeps. A simple fix is to install steel caster shims.

Here's a piece on shackles:
http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-93.htm
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...le-basics.html
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.