several questions, one fan, a few electrical one fuel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > several questions, one fan, a few electrical one fuel

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-07-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
outdoordad@comc

several questions, one fan, a few electrical one fuel

first one, fan question.... I have a 258 I6 with serpentine belt and fan clutch. Went to pick up my jeep and found that my radiator is leaking...so I purchased a new one for it 3 core center cap.... di some checking and found that my original is an off center cap 2 core and my new one wont fit...... whats the bonus to have a clutch fan over a normal or... even electrical one? should i return my new rad for smaller stock one?. my motor is bored 30 over just for a foot note. i do know the 3 core is better but will a clutch fan fit? or should i just go electrical or regular?

second.....recently someone posted an electrial drain problem on the battery.... how can i test that again? I need to locate ,my drain source and solve it. can i run dual batteries just incase of over drain? using an isolator? any diagrams?

last i have the 20 gallon tank for an 86 cj7 any diagrams on the fuel lines? why 3? what do they all go to? and on the sending unit is one a ground? and one to the guage? which is which.

thanks guys and sorry for the burden

Sean
AKA outdoordad

outdoordad@comc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I'll answer a couple.

#1 - I have a 3 core with the serp belt and clutch fan. Close fit but it does fit, about 3/4" away. The clutch on the fan engages more when the engine is warmer, usually easier to rev or slightly quicker response, usually won't tear up the radiator on water crossings. Some radiators will sit slightly deeper in the nose for the extra room. Electric fans only work when needed, can have over-ride switches for cool down or water crossings, more efficient but can draw a lot of current, especially on start-up (30 amps or more). With the 3 core and clutch fan, my temp gauge never gets past 1/4, even dead of summer, mountin pass at 90*, or lugging it slowly through the woods.

#2 - Remove ground wire from battery and install test lamp between cable and neg batt post. If lamp is lit (you might have a little draw from things like clocks or the memory on the stereo), you have a draw. Remove fuses until lamp goes dim or out. That gives you an idea of where to look.

#3 - 3 lines, fuel in, fuel return, and vent. Don't know about the sending unit. Would have to look at a schematic.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes there is a ground wire and it's connected to the round part. The sending wire is connected to a post:
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
outdoordad@comc

hey john i have 3 lines on my tank? and thanks for the wire info... can i ask what you do for a living? your either an old school jeeper or jeep mechanic.... my specialtiy is old jeeps like the willys pre 60 ages
outdoordad@comc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.