setting up caster - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > setting up caster

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 10-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
JHAMM35
1979 CJ7 

setting up caster

Hello guys! I am a newby to the forum, and kind of a newby to Jeep ownership.
My CJ7 has 4 inches of susp. lift and 2 inches of body lift. I am running 35's. The Jeep was already raised like this when I bought it, so I dont know all of the details.
I am trying to tighten up the steering. I just recieved the MORE steering box mount [What a nice looking piece]. I got the one that moves the box forward about an inch as I plan on doing the shackle reversal some day. I also just got a new Borgeson steering shaft. I have not installed either part yet. I also plan to install the beefyer drag link and tie rod [parts are on order].

My question is.....Who has cut the C's off of their front axel [DANA 30] and re-welded them for the correct caster. This seems like the right way to do it, since we could get the optimum pinion angle and caster angle. My wonder is, are the axel tubes fitted inside of the C's, or are they just butt welded together?
I am a fair craftsman, and not affraid of a project, just like to hear from some guys who have done this one.

Thanks in advance for helping a new guy out.

JHAMM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I don't know the answer to your question but here are 2 articles I have found very interesting and informative.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res108eps/...ion-basics.pdf

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/rotated_housing/

Happy reading and good luck!
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I believe there is a thread here about doing this but it may be on a Dana 44. I can see the pics in my head and the tubes were pressed into the C and welded. If I find it I will post up the link.

Have seen some cut off the perches and reweld and others grind the perches to correct caster angle as well.

Paul
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Can you not just put in the shim/wedges under the springs to set castor and pinion angle? Ive read about this and have seen the parts for this, just have never used them. And yes cutting and repositioning the perches would accomplish the same thing, just curious about the wedges.
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

The Dana 30 caster angle can be adjusted about 6 different ways. Most times you don't need to adjust the caster independent of the driveline angle.

Here are a few...
1. You can rotate the “Cs” that hold your ball joints.
2. You can cut off and remount spring perches (or mounts)
3. You can use a offset ball joint or offset mount.
4. On some axles you can grind the perch enough to change the angle.

What's your current caster angle? You didn't say.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

USUALLY correcting the pinion angle (or what people think is correcting it) is counter productive to caster. As you roll the pinion up to get your angle, it rolls the assemble down creating more positive caster. I really encourage anyone interested to read the first link I poster, it is an incredibly well written document with basic to advance knowledge presented at a level most will be able to follow. I held an ASE in suspension and alignments (as well as 6 others) for many years and even worked as a tech for a while before I picked up a pen and started running my mouth and have played with cars for 30 years, have a 2600 sft shop and work on them constantly including significant front end work. I can set an alignment pretty darn close with a tape measure and 2 ft level and I learn a lot from this document. I had no clue as compared to what this guy presented. It is a great read on this very subject.
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
I had no clue as compared to what this guy presented. It is a great read on this very subject.
That guy is gojeepin in the post just above you.
Unread 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I know and he deserves props for the article, not only the knowledge but the way in which it is written is extremely difficult to accomplish. I have written a number of articles related to the business side of the repair business and I know the level of effort it takes. AND I have never written anything of that length.
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Here is the link to the 44 build VACJ7 was referring to. Also a great read.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/qu...-swap-1273400/
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Cool.... that was one of the ones I was thinking of but there is another one too. Guy has the axle in the bed of his pickup and did the work there. Have not been able to find that one...
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I'd just like to see that!
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I have taken off Dana 44 inner knuckles (C's) twice. You have to grind out the welds. The axle tube extends almost all the way through the C. Once I think I have the weld out, I take two hammers and hit the C on the inside to try to knock it off the end of the tube. The first thing you want to do is get a crack to form where the C was welded to the tube. There is usually still some weld left at this point but once you get a crack (it will be about the width of a hair) you can see where you still need to grind weld. Be careful not to grind into the tube. Once you can see the hairline crack all the way around the tube then you can knock the C off with two hammers. Hit each side of the C at the same time with a hammer and it will come off.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
JHAMM35
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all of the advice and wisdom. I figured that the tube went thru the C some and not just butt welded on.
JHAMM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Rotating the knuckle yokes is a lot of time/effort to put into a Dana 30. It would be more worthwhile to do on a better axle. I'd wait for swap time.

Since you said you bought the CJ the way it is, can you check something? What is the bolt center-to-bolt center distance on your shackles? I'm curious as to whether the previous owner installed longer shackles, which would tilt your axle forward and reduce your caster. Lift shackles really don't provide much lift at all and you should have plenty of room for 35s with a 4" spring + a 2" body lift. If you have lift shackles installed, you may want to consider taking them out. The difference they make could be the solution to your problem in itself.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.