Serp belt to v belt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Serp belt to v belt?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Lunchbox70
1984 CJ7 

Serp belt to v belt?

You read that correct, i am wondering if anyone has info on this. long story short, junked original 258 and picked up a 1990 258 and want to convert it to v belt.

main question, will the crank pulley from an older 258 ( v belt ) bolt right on to replace my serp pulley?

just want to keep things simple, only running water pump and alt.
no power steering, no ac, no smog pump and i plan to keep it this way for a while. so in my mind its would just be a hassle to have a serp belt.

thanks guys.

Lunchbox70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Lunch,

A quick Google search turned up mixed information, for me.

But, the consensus was the serp 258's crank nose is shorter than the v-belt version, and that v-belts will not work on the serp crank.

Also, I believe the serp 258's water pump was a reverse direction, no? I'm not sure how that would work with the v-belt setup.

Hope this helps, or at least bumps your question to someone who knows for sure.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Lunch,

A quick Google search turned up mixed information, for me.

But, the consensus was the serp 258's crank nose is shorter than the v-belt version, and that v-belts will not work on the serp crank.

Also, I believe the serp 258's water pump was a reverse direction, no? I'm not sure how that would work with the v-belt setup.

Hope this helps, or at least bumps your question to someone who knows for sure.

Matt
Matt,

You are correct about the water pump, would need to buy opposite direction flow for a fact.
Not sure about crank nose, though I can see it.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchbox70 View Post
You read that correct, i am wondering if anyone has info on this. long story short, junked original 258 and picked up a 1990 258 and want to convert it to v belt.

main question, will the crank pulley from an older 258 ( v belt ) bolt right on to replace my serp pulley?

just want to keep things simple, only running water pump and alt.
no power steering, no ac, no smog pump and i plan to keep it this way for a while. so in my mind its would just be a hassle to have a serp belt.

thanks guys.
1) There's nothing wrong with a snake belt - it usually lasts a bit longer anyhow.

2) Don't forget to change your water pump - you'll be spinning it the other way, if you change.

There may or may not be a difference in length for the crank snout between the two - so watch out. It's probably not anything that can't be handled easily, but it is a potential pitfall...

Tags
258 , 4.0 , belt , cj7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.