Serious problem after installing a 4" lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Serious problem after installing a 4" lift

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-22-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
maxmuscle

Serious problem after installing a 4" lift

Over the weekend, a local 4x4 shop installed a 4" lift on my '85 CJ7. I picked up the Jeep today, and realize I can no longer get into 1st, 3rd or 5th gear. The problem is, everytime I tried to get into those gears, the shift knob hits the dash panel, so it doesn't engage. Is this normal? Is it something the shop didn't do? How can I fix this problem?

Please help!

maxmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Did they put transfer case drop kit in?

Even if they did, the T-5 would be limited by the hole in the tub for the shifter, not hit the dash.

I'm curious as to why they felt it wasn't necessary to inform you of this before giving it to you.
Unread 04-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
390fastback
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Transfer case drop will prevent you from using 2nd, 4th and reverse untill you modify the floor panel. The only way the upper gears in the pattern (1,3,5) could hit the dash is if the whole thing is now leaning foward either coused by dropping the engine down or lifting the tranmission/transfer case up. The latter could be coused by them 'testing' the new lift and crushing the transfer case skid plate. Look under your jeep and see if this is what they did. If not, I'm stumped without more info.
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
390fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
maxmuscle

There is a TC drop and I did notice everything was shifted forward when I picked it up this morning. However, I figure if it was going to cause a problem, they would let me know before driving off.

I'll put a call in to the shop and see what they have to say.

Thanks for the help.
maxmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
Knight6

Sounds to me like the shop owes you some time figuring out what they did.

No idea what your stick is like, but as part of a custom conversion I did, we just heated up the stick with a welding torch and angled it into the position I wanted. We made sure all gears were in a good place with no obstructions (dash, my knee, the Tuffy box I have in, etc.).

Of course this was a very different engine tranny conversion, you shouldn't have to do that putting on a simple 4" kit, but its an idea.
Chevy 5.7L Vortec, Ford T-18 with granny-low 1st
37x14.00 Iroks, Warn 9K lb winch,
Metal Fusion tube fenders,full cage frame tie-in, +++
Knight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #6
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

They didn't by chance remove the motor did they? If they did, and then put it back in, I would imagine they could have used the wrong holes, but that would mean there would be issues with teh rear driveshaft lenght.

Did they lengthen that?

What kind of lift did they put on and what other mods were done to this. If they did anything like I mentioned above, that could account for the forwardness of the situation, but like I said, you would see other issues.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2004, 08:41 AM   #7
jeepmor

take it back to them

Your either trimming the cover or bending the shift stick. Either way, they did the lift, it's their responsibility. Should not take them too long, but I would gripe about having to bring it back, takke extra time out of your day etc. Why they did not check thi is beyond me. Don't they test drive the darn thing. This sounds like you had a dealership do the work, their notoriouos for this type of crap!

If your in Oregon area, Leonard's Offroad would be my recommendation
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.