Sequential Fuel Injection For AMC V-8... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sequential Fuel Injection For AMC V-8...

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The old Speed/Density systems are what I'm most used to dealing with, so I have to get up to speed on the 'Junk Yard' offerings that will work with density input.
I REALLY want to have this thing run at every temperature, altitude, ect. if I'm going to go to all this trouble.
That pretty much REQUIRES a Mass Air Flow sensor...

Since I have ducted air inlet now, plugging up some leaks, making the air flow more reliable through the MAF sensor isn't a huge deal, and if you have a snorkel, it's actually EASIER to install a MAF,
I don't need HUGE throttle bodies, high dollar injectors, ect. just looking for something that I can disable the transmission input or doesn't have a transmission input, and still has a MAF.

I want something that takes over timing, I really don't care to have the timing all over the place with a mechanical/vacuum advance on the distributor,
And a knock sensor would be a great addition also... Actually mandatory if you want to maximize the efficiency SAFELY...

With the race cars I work on now, it all comes in a box, we install it out of the box, and the factory rep shows up to tune it since we are going to be displaying the vehicle...
'Joe Average' doesn't get the factory rep, and the cost of some of these systems are WELL OUT OF REACH of 'Joe Average'.

Since I'm NOT building a race car, I'm looking for something more towards 'Stock' application,
Something I don't have to make a ton of changes to,
An intake with injectors, a camshaft that works with the injection, and slap it on and run it.

The older throttle body systems were so quirky, jerky, and failure prone, lacked proper self diagnostics, ect. I'm REALLY not interested in another base line, throttle body system that is an 'Electric Carb', just harder to tune and still uses the restrictions of the factory style distributor advance...

I just haven't paid the least bit of attention to the factory offerings in the past 10 or 12 years, so I don't know what does what anymore...

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Just tossing this out there, but the GM Junk Yard TBI system I put together with help from J Hammer and USNBill does a great job. Starts easy at 20*, runs great from 2500' to 9000'. Runs my timing, has knock sensor, and speed sensor, O2 sensor and MAP sensor. Ties into my Team Rush setup + MSD box. I did use a computer from Dynamic EFI instead of the stock one so I can adjust my fuel tables when I want and it has an auto learn feature that learns what the fuel tables should be while I am driving. All that for about $700.

Im all for trying new things just to see if it can be done, but how much of a performance gain are you thinking you can get by going S-MPFI on an old AMC motor? I get it if you are building a comp machine of some sort and every little detail counts, but if this is for the average Joe, why put the huge R&D into that is probably only marginally better than the current setups? Even by large production standards a Howell kit is $1200 for a TbI system and the Mopar MPFI system is $3600 ish. They both run well, but is the real world performance difference worth triple the price? Especially on a motor that isn't made any more?

Don't get me wrong JH, I love your articles, and they have helped me tremendously. I think it is cool how you spend your time to come up with real world applications for Jeeps. This post is mostly food for thought. I will be following this thread to see how it turns out. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.