Separating Engine From Tranny, Then Rebuilding... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Separating Engine From Tranny, Then Rebuilding...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Separating Engine From Tranny, Then Rebuilding...

Well I finally got my truck running. The 258 I got for free is in the back of it and I wan to take it to the shop and pull it out. The 258 still has the TF 999 attach to it. My question is will I get any oil when I separate the tranny from the engine?

Once I separate I will mount the engine to the stand. What should I do then? Should I do a compression test or just tear it down? I was thinking of doing a compression test and replacing the heads with a 4.0 one. I was also thinking of making the 258 a 4.6 which would have to be torn down and re-bored. What do you guys think? The motor was rebuilt before by a company I think in Canada. There is a sticker on the motor and its doesn't look like it's been used much. The guy pulled it to drop a 5.0 in his jeep and said it ran great. I don't mind taking the time and money to do it right so any advise would be great...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

no fluids will/should leak when you take the trannie off the bellhousing.
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

There is probably still transmission fluid in the torque converter so just make sure it does not drop out. The ATSG manual says to attached a small c-clamp to the bell housing after you slide the transmission back to hold the torque converter from falling out.

I will be pulling my TF999 in a few weeks.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

my bad. . I did not realize your with automatic. Never could get my arms around automatic for most applications.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.