Sense wire for 12si alternator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Sense wire for 12si alternator

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 06-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
TadaoBaba

Sense wire for 12si alternator

Hi there, searching hasn't found the exact answer I am looking for. I am replacing my alternator (with a Powermaster 47294), and have read JeepHammer's explanations that the alternator sense wire is better connected somewhere downstream, rather than back to the BATT lug on the alternator. I've got an 80 CJ5, and I am looking for a good place to run this wire. I've upgraded most of the charging wires, added the requisite extra grounds, and have my headlights, electric fans etc. running off relays.

Where is a good location to run the sense wire, exactly? Is the starter solenoid not far enough away? How about running to the positive battery terminal? I'm looking for some specific ideas, other than just "down stream."

Last edited by TadaoBaba; 06-09-2012 at 07:23 PM..
TadaoBaba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

bump....me too
Unread 06-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
parker007
1977 CJ5 

why not just put in 1 wire regulator and just run 1 wire to batery they cost maybee 15 dollars, i belive the wire you talk about originaly went to either ignition switch or charge light.
parker007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
TadaoBaba

1 wire has been thoroughly been covered as being the weak way to go. Hard on alternators and electrical systems.
Unread 06-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Agree on the light of ignition. I've been running mine on the ignition for half of last summer. And the last 2 months (trail only keep)

I seem to remember on the 1 wire, JeepHammer stated, the only drawback to the 1 wire was that in can draw down the battery over a period of time when not used. I don't remember anything about hard on the alternator, or other electrical. I wasn't that long ago.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
TadaoBaba

Yeah - I'm not looking for one wire info, though. Want to do it three wire, with an excite (stock) and a sense.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadaoBaba
Yeah - I'm not looking for one wire info, though. Want to do it three wire, with an excite (stock) and a sense.
I realize that, you brought it up in your post before mine. And your info wasn't correct.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The postive Lug on the battery or the battery side of the solenoid would be the only place down stream I can think of. Since the battery connection on the alternator always has 12 volts, and since it's connected to the hot side of the solenoid, and the sense wire is the same gauge . What I mentioned above is the only logical choice as I see it.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 06-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I sent J-Hammer a PM 2 days ago to see if he was OK. No word. Hope & pray all is well. Anybody nearby to check on him? Should be a thread?
Unread 06-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
I sent J-Hammer a PM 2 days ago to see if he was OK. No word. Hope & pray all is well. Anybody nearby to check on him? Should be a thread?
He cruised past yesterday but has not posted for near a month.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The main purpose for the sense wire is so that the battery gets proper voltage, so I would put it there. Normally (unless your wiring is bad) battery is pretty close to alternator voltage, but sometimes not.. For example if you are using a solid state battery isolator for two batteries, there is a voltage drop and the sensor wire should be on the downstream side.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
bentshackle
1983 CJ7 

I originally wired mine into the feed to the horn relay, per JH's instructions.

Then I had a not so insignificant parasitic drain from my alt with the key off. I probably just need a new regulator but I changed it to sense off of a switched feed on the back of my fuse block instead. I get 14.8V at idle with everything electrical on.

Figured it only needs to sense with the ignition on so why does it need a constant feed? Sorry I can't remember which circuit and I'm not at home to go find it. I just get back in there with a test light and found one that fit my criteria.

Last edited by bentshackle; 06-11-2012 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: clarity.
bentshackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

On some jeeps the sense wire connects to the (+) on the ignition coil. Probably to make sure the power to the coil has the proper electrical voltage at all times. Some go to a junction just off the ignition switch. Some travel am inch to the output post on the alternator.

If you put it on your battery then the battery will be OK but you can have a big drop in power going to your electronics and your jeep won't run right and you will waste money slowly in gas costs.
If you put it on your electronics the the battery can get over charged and you will have to buy new batteries more often.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
flashpointmax
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
If you put it on your battery then the battery will be OK but you can have a big drop in power going to your electronics and your jeep won't run right and you will waste money slowly in gas costs.
Help me out with an understanding of why this would be the case. After the engine starts the voltage going to the primary of the coil is normally reduced down to around seven or eight volts because it's fed through a resistive wire. IMO I'd think any potential above that level would be sufficient and not impact the firing system.
flashpointmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

If you put it on your electronics the the battery can get over charged and you will have to buy new batteries more often.
While this is true, then you're treating the symptom. Ideally the battery should be getting the correct voltage (so it doesn't overcharge). If the circuitry has excess voltage drop, that should be addressed as a primary issue. Otherwise you're putting bandaids on the problem.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
alternator , wiring alternator plug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.