Selling my TJ & buying a CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Selling my TJ & buying a CJ

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-23-2002, 10:29 PM   #1
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Selling my TJ & buying a CJ

I am having to sell my TJ (baby on the way) and buy myself a less expensive CJ. I know I want a CJ 7, but I'm trying to decide exactly what I want to look for. So, were there different axles offered between 76-86 in the CJ 7- front and rear? If so, what's best? Did 304's come factory in them (or for trail riding-no mud really) would the 258 be better suited? And is the 258 the only other motor other than the 304 that would have came in a 76-86 CJ7?
And finally, in yall's CJ educated opinion, what's one of the most important things to look for when buying a CJ 7?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks,

Unread 01-24-2002, 08:44 AM   #2
mud4me

I just wondering how a CJ will be less than a TJ (in the long run)???
Unread 01-24-2002, 05:44 PM   #3
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Really the long run is not really important. Right now I'm paying $350 a month for my TJ and I know that I can have a CJ for between $150-$225 (depending on how nice of one I find), and way less insurance. The objective is to free up income right now, and I could go to an old ford ranger for about two grand but, I want to drive a jeep, so a CJ is the vehicle of choice.
Unread 01-24-2002, 08:31 PM   #4
ooze

well now this is interesting. first congrats on the baby and second for possibly moving "up" to the CJ.
but if you have'nt driven a CJ before you may be in for a shock in the difference between the two.
ooze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
Matt Graham
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Up, huh? I hope I think that too in a few months. Yeah, I realize that they are very different, but in a good way I think. My brother has a '74 CJ-5 he got about 8 months ago, and I don't know how to describe it, there's just something about climbing into a 28 year old very capable machine, something I like. It's solid and well, you probably know what I mean. I know the coil spring ride is nice in my TJ, but I'm looking forward to moving "Up" to the CJ!

But hey, anyone that can answer my Questions?
Unread 01-25-2002, 07:02 PM   #6
ooze

Matt,
i can only imagine what it's like to climb in a 28 yr old jeep, mines only 25, hehe. daily driver too.
as far as engine. prolly personal preference.
my CJ5 does just fine with the 258. plenty of power for me.
easy to work on and plenty of room in the engine compartment. no emmisions, i like the kiss methed (Keep It Simple Stupid) the only draw back is the carter carb, not that it's complicated but i think it really is stupid can't seem to conquer it. does that make me stupider?
unless the jeep has been modified you'll prolly get a dana 30 front axle and an amc 20 rear. i'm thinkin there was a dana44 rear offered in the early 80's for the cj7?
BE CHOOSY and happy hunting.
ooze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2002, 12:39 AM   #7
RickCJ7

I recomend a v-8, it will have less power than your TJs 6. The autos are good, the best sticks are 77-79 t-18 or the newer t-176. I prefer the t-176, it's geared better for the highway and comes with the Dana 300 transfer case. If you get an 80-81, a v-8 and t-176 are factory. These are narrow track and easier to put 10" rims and larger tires on. They won't stick out past the fender flares.
Unread 01-26-2002, 01:30 AM   #8
Jeep CJ5

I like my 304 V8 much better than and of the 258 six's I have owned. A lot of power, you can get up hills on the highway no problem. I like the power of the eight for the trails and mud also. Mind you....mileage sucks.

The 304 V8 was dropped from the factory after 1981. The 1982 CJ-7 was available with the 258 6 and for the first time a five speed was available.

The 1982 model year had wider axles. I am not sure on the different axles that were in them over the years.

I would say spend more to get a nicer Jeep. I think you will be happier in the long run. You are buying this for a daily driver not for a project to play with right? I would say for a daily driver a 1981 Laredo with a V8 would be perfect. (I am just a bit partial to the power of the V-8, others may disagree with me)

Oh...and I hated my 1984 258 6 with an automatic. I found the 6 and the auto transmission to be an anemic combination.

Here are a few sites that sell Jeeps:

http://www.toyboxjeeps.com

http://www.austinjeeps.com

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.