Seen any Asinine Repairs lately? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Seen any Asinine Repairs lately?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

JeepHammer ,
The proper term is "smack the stupid out of them!!!". You can go ahead and use it.

ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
-------------------------

Plastic 'Zip' ties holding a tie rod together, keeping the socket on the ball...

-------------------------

Wait! you can't do that? ohhhhh... I remember a certain Fiat X-19 I drove 200 miles home like that once.... But I backed the wire ties up with bailing wire...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Whew, 22 mag, that could've gone wrong, huh? Gives me the willies, too.

M
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #19
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

I've found too many "live" wires in my jeep hanging or hidden in the looms with nothing else covering them.....got a little "sparky" at times
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

bondo filled inside the frame to make the paper thin frame appear/feel strong.

great way to screw over a buyer. ask me how i know.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

The dash is my pet peeve, 'cause you look at it all the time. I've seen some awful butchery on Jeeps. The P.O. of my CJ installed a cheapo aftermarket radio, and it looks like he cut the hole out with an axe!

Oh, and I've seen a 2x4 used as a front bumper. I got a chuckle out of that one.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #22
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

my whole jeep has been one asenine repair job after another. bumper to bumper.. literally.
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #23
Mortimer77
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
Oh, and I've seen a 2x4 used as a front bumper. I got a chuckle out of that one.
I'm not trying to be nasty, but I've seen one driving around here that has a huge board attached to the bumper (or maybe it is the bumper? It's hard to tell).

It looks ridiculous.
Mortimer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #24
zapp1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well, the list is long but here are a few things...

cut the dash up to put speakers and radio in,

replaced the rear floorboard with a replacement piece, right on top of the old rusted one

yes there was duct tape and spray foam used to let it pass inspection

Can't complain though, the jeep was free, doing a frame up restoration on it, so this time around, no spray foam
zapp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #25
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Paper clip holding on the top seat belt mount. String holding the bottom of the belt on to the roll bar. Not a huge worry as the buckle was broken anyway so it did not affect overall system performance. My brother in law justified it as seat belts are only for show so the cops do not give you a ticket, we travel so slowly here that seat belts are really unncessary. I sit in the back of his car as I do not trust his seat belts.

Toyota master cylinder and servo. Now that seems OK as they were properly made parts from a reputable manufacturer. Jeep parts are hard to get here so the mechanics use anything cheap and to hand. However brakes locked very easily and there are several palm trees on the highway with turning skid marks leading towards them.

Oil change sticker/ label hanging on the dashboard. Supposedly to denote when your next oil change is due it suggests they actually changed your oil and filter. I have had an oil pressure light come on on a Peugeot with an internal oil filter that had regularly oil changes, they never changed the filter. External filters I have seen ignored or polished with a cloth, I now mark the filter and if not changed I reach into my cupboard and pull one out and do it myself. I also check the oil when it comes back to make sure it is clean.

Axle nut loose, they had put a nail through the castenated nut but not tightened it. as it is a 1 5/16" or 34mm nut it is a large one so I could only figure they forgot the 150 ftlb torquing or did not have a socket large enough.

The bottom of the windshield frame / cowl seal were completely eroded. A piece of PVC black sticker applied 1.2" wide across the whole area to make it look like a seal. I did this and it actually looked quite good until I coudl locate the right parts.

Sticker on the side of the hood - real big and sexy for "ARB Air Locker - locking difeerental" Yes, misspelled and it did not have an Air Locker. I would have kept it but the spelling bugged me.

The block of wood that stops the drivers seat from going too far back. One of mine, I am still struggling to open up the seat recline mechanism to fix it.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #26
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Test driving a jeep and started smelling something burning under the hood, then suddenly a lot of racket, sounded like and exhaust leak. Pulled over and looked under the hood and the exhaust manifold air injection tubes had rusted out about 2 inches above each fitting, the guy had put rubber vacuum lines and plastic tees for each one, hooking it back up to the air pump. What a riot, then you really start looking the jeep over!
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #27
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A toyota radiator in a CJ. Not a big old one but a smaller saloon car one. Overheated.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.