Seen any Asinine Repairs lately? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Seen any Asinine Repairs lately?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Mortimer77
1977 CJ5 

Seen any Asinine Repairs lately?

My brother is a mechanic who used to work at a Jeep dealership. He warned me before getting my own Jeep that if it was used, I would find ridiculous repairs/fixes/upgrades that had no business being there. It finally happened today. Looking under the Jeep at my brake lines today I noticed what looked like an ink pen shoved in the end of a rubber hose. I pulled on it. It WAS an ink pen shoved in a rubber hose. I have no idea what its purpose is, so I put it back, scratched my head, and kept working on my brakes. I'll get to it later.

So... I thought I would throw a thread out there (if there was one already I didn't know where to find it) so we can all laugh and share stories of the ridiculous repairs people have made on our jeeps.

Mortimer77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

Double the stock amount of electrical that goes no where, and is all red/white. and splices that were just twisted together and then covered with duct tape.
Plumbers calk placed foe the purpose of preventing rust but actually caused it.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The ink pen was probably in a vent tube for the fuel tank or your axle.. Odd that they'd do that...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #4
SJ85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
Double the stock amount of electrical that goes no where, and is all red/white. and splices that were just twisted together and then covered with duct tape.
Plumbers calk placed foe the purpose of preventing rust but actually caused it.
Yea I can see that, after I bought my jeep I took the carpet out to find that the PO had used plumbers calk on all the seams and covered it with duct tape and yes that is where all the rust is. To this day I'm still pick calk off the inside of the tub, dam stuff never hardens or drys out.
85' CJ7, 258 I6, "Team Rush" Weber 38/MSD 6A, T-176 4-speed, twin-stick Dana 300, DANA 30 fore - AMC 20 aft with stock 2.73 gears, 31" tires, 8k winch, "Dirtworx" rear bumper/tire carrier. My Daily Drive, JustEmptyEveryPocket
SJ85CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Mortimer77
1977 CJ5 

Yeah, the thousand miscellaneous wires are pretty bad. I have those too. At least mine were all twisted off with electrical tape, not duct tape. It's like the PO never heard of a dang wire nut...
The strange thing is, not a single gauge works in my dash. Not a single one. With all those wires you would think something would work. Just law of probability.

My boyfriend's YJ has a whole body lift (not suspension lift) and they were put on upside down by the PO.
Mortimer77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Did one Sunday myself, although not on the Jeep. We have a Honda that the crank key way slot was wollered (wow never tried to spell that) out, I welded it up with my Lincoln and then filed back to the correct diameter and put/filed the key way slot back in, worked like a champ. Put it all back together, torque it and all works properly.
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #7
fastford5913
1969 CJ5 

i've been the proud (more or less)owner of my jeep for about a month and so far,i've repaired shackles 3" & 4" in one,lots of engine parts and cash,no rubbers in body mounts(still working on that one)and i'm sure more crap will follow...
fastford5913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
Tfain
1978 CJ5 

I remember when I was looking for a jeep I saw a 89 yj with rusted out floorboards that he put sheet metal over a gas tank out of some other vehicle sitting where the back seat should be and he put cocking around the valve cover to stop it from leaking. He was asking 2000 for it. He still has it up on cl for 1500. On the jeep I eventually got has the worst bondo work iv ever seen. He just put it oner the holes and let it dry. Not to mention he got it all over the jeep and never cleaned it off. But the floor boards where replaced with fiberglass ones. Thats a plus
Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

I'll add flimsy go-cart seats welded to a flimsy home brew frame (looked like a bed frame). and welded directly to the floor.
Welded on stock bumper front and welded home made C channel bumper rear.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

....wire nuts in the wiring. No place for them for automotive use....
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

thankfully on this jeep nobody ever tried to fix anything. I've replaced every single bit of it to begin with (not a wrangler sorry guys)

As for assanine repairs, there is a vendor on jf (no clue what he vends for) who was in a bumper thread recently ranting and raving how a sawzall is the best cutting tool for fab work besides a plasma cutter, and that he could easily cut holes in rectangle stock without cutting thru the edges or drilling piolet holes.

Needless to say in the grinder/cut off wheels defense, everyone who came in the thread told him what an idiot he was, tho I still don't think he realizes it. To me that qualifys highly as assanine repairs, both present and future lol.

In my fathers truck (beater chevy) crumpled itnfoil/ paper towels, bondoed over, mnt dew can not riveted just in a hole bondoed over. ah gotta love 500$ vehicles, been going good for like 5 + years tho, besides the redneck body work.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #12
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

Okay I can top all of you. A friend wanted a Jeep so I went with him to go see this 92 yj.It was a wreck. something didn't look right ; the sides were bad, but couldn't put my finger on it .Till I put my hands on what looked like rust .I put my hand through the side .it wasn't even bondo. The guy used spray foam to fill the holes in.Then painted over it.On top of everything he was p!ssed that I damaged his Jeep .The guy even had the nerve to insist we buy it cause he now won't be able to sell it with the hole we just made.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #13
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
Okay I can top all of you. A friend wanted a Jeep so I went with him to go see this 92 yj.It was a wreck. something didn't look right ; the sides were bad, but couldn't put my finger on it .Till I put my hands on what looked like rust .I put my hand through the side .it wasn't even bondo. The guy used spray foam to fill the holes in.Then painted over it.On top of everything he was p!ssed that I damaged his Jeep .The guy even had the nerve to insist we buy it cause he now won't be able to sell it with the hole we just made.
I woulda went with "look ill give ya 200 bucks for it, since it has this big hole and all."

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #14
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

A few previous owner "mods" that I cant stand are things like:
When they weld the front bumper to the frame and then weld the winch plate on the two. I see it a lot in the south and most common with heavy home made tube bumpers.
Or when they refuse to buy the correct bottom mount 5.25 dash speakers and use tin snips to cut out a rough hole over the dash grid and drill four bolt holes for the new speaker grill screws.....dash ruined in my mind.
Or then there's when the previous owner installs things wrong or upside down such as tailgate hinges or taillight lens.....what do you mean the reverse lights don't light up?

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I could tell from underneath the floor pans were MISSING, rotted away, and someone had put some aluminum down to keep your feet from falling through,

I pulled the carpet, and found a 'Yeild' and 'Stop' sign that had been BENT, not cut, to fit into the floor board.
No wonder there was two layers of carpet and thick floor mats!

-------------------------

.22 Mag round in the fuse block replacing a fuse,
Kind of gave me the willies when I found that!

PVC Tubing run for the fuel line.

Plastic 'Zip' ties holding a tie rod together, keeping the socket on the ball...

Some people just need to be SLAPPED!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.