See Piture....what can I get rid of ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > See Piture....what can I get rid of ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Rmally
1984 CJ7 

See Piture....what can I get rid of ?

After installing the new weber carb I'm assuming I can get rid of a lot of these circuits, relays, wires, etc. Would love to remove this mess along the firewall but wasn't sure how to go about it.

Can anyone let me know where to start....how to start..? Is there a thread on removing or eliminating wires, relays, circuits, etc.

Thanks,

PS.....Title should say "See Picture" I'm really not 5 years old.........

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  
Rmally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Most of the wiring can go.

Since you have swapped carbs, the computer is no longer doing anything for the most part.

Start with the Nutter bypass. You can skip the carb setting part.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/

After the initial ignition wiring change (making sure you have started and timed the engine) I disconnected the computer connector and started pulling the wire to their ends. There are a few you will want to leave connected (manifold heater and relay and choke) but every time I cut a wire if I had to to remove it from the tangle, I started the engine. Whole lot easier to know what wire cut screwed things up than trying to figure which one of many did it.

Check this site for what does what. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

It also explains the Nutter. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ignmods.htm

You will end up with more wire, tubing and relays on the floor than in the CJ.
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #3
jshi218
1986 CJ7 

how is the weber carb working. I was wanting to do it with my 86 CJ.
Was kinda worried it wouldn't work correctly.
jshi218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Rmally
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the information yellow85, I really appreciate the tips.

The weber is working great. It starts, idles, runs and sounds a lot better. The only issue I have (not carb related) is after 6-10 miles the jeep will sputter and die. It appears something (computer, relays,vacume) is leaning out my mixture but as soon as you turn it off and back on it runs perfect for another 6-10 miles then leans out and dies.

I'm hoping that by eliminating all this wiring mess and relays that my problem will be solved.

Thanks again guys.
Rmally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I'd get rid of the tiny air cleaner also.

Buy the adapter to connect it to the stock sir cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.