Seatbelts attached to fold/tumble seat instead of floor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Seatbelts attached to fold/tumble seat instead of floor

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 05-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
CJKevin1978
1984 CJ7 

Seatbelts attached to fold/tumble seat instead of floor

My new-to-me CJ-7 can with all Bestop seats but only one rear seat belt. I have a fam of 4 so I bought a pair of belts. But I am thinking of attaching them to the seat if there is a solid point for them. So, have any of you done this? I'd like to have a clean, smooth "bed" when the seat if folded.

I can see how this may be a little less safe than the belts on the floor/tub. But it seems to me that it would require a very unlikely series of events to cause that seat to release in a crash. I am more concerned about mounting points that are dependable/strong.

CJKevin1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I just finished installing a bestop fold up rear seat for my kids. I installed 2 seatbelts. There should already be 2 holes in the back of the floorboard. I anchored to them with 7/16 grade 8 bolts and a seatbelt nut on the bottom. I also had to drill a hole in the middle of the back in order to install the locking mechanism and I anchored the catches using the same setup. Pretty sure it ain't going anywhere...
image-3190147463.jpg  
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Mount to the floor is the best.
That is how AMC did it.
This is NOT the place to take short-cuts
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Ivehad4
1978 CJ7 

I wouldn't trust that one little folding latch that holds the seat down in an accident. If the seat folds up it really doesn't matter if the occupant has the belt on or not - it could ruin their day. Bolt em to the floor.
1998 TJ 4.0
Ivehad4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Not a good idea to bolt the seat belts to the seat frame and hoping the single latch will hold in place in the event of a unforeseen accident. Bolt them to the floor using grade 8, fine thread hardware.

I have the same type of rear seat and bought two rear set belts and also had to drill an addtional hole in the floor for another anchor bolt. The rear floor only has three threaded 7/16-20 holes and the center one in the middle is doubled up for seat belt anchoring. The additional hole I had to drill was for the latch bracket that is normally held in place with three holes but I cut off one since I doubled up on the seat belt anchoring. The bracket comes with three holes, one for mounting and one each for the seat belt anchor which also bolts the bracket down.

Here's my setup:

The hardware used is S.S. grade 8 shoulder bolts that are 7/16-20 thread. Very hard to find to say the least and I believe I acquired them from TotallyStainless.com

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460
Not a good idea to bolt the seat belts to the seat frame and hoping the single latch will hold in place in the event of a unforeseen accident. Bolt them to the floor using grade 8, fine thread hardware.

I have the same type of rear seat and bought two rear set belts and also had to drill an addtional hole in the floor for another anchor bolt. The rear floor only has three threaded 7/16-20 holes and the center one in the middle is doubled up for seat belt anchoring. The additional hole I had to drill was for the latch bracket that is normally held in place with three holes but I cut off one since I doubled up on the seat belt anchoring. The bracket comes with three holes, one for mounting and one each for the seat belt anchor which also bolts the bracket down.

Here's my setup:

The hardware used is S.S. grade 8 shoulder bolts that are 7/16-20 thread. Very hard to find to say the least and I believe I acquired them from TotallyStainless.com
Exactly how I have mine as well...
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

ditto to Keith460, that's the way it should be.. unless you want the person in the back to do and ejection WITH seat attached if you hit something.. better to bolt those belts down so you keep your seat.. ha ... and the passenger....
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Trombino
1978 CJ7 

With regards to the 7/16-20 grade 8 bolts, the only place I was able to find them was my local small-town hardware store. The best I could do at orange and blue was grade 5. I actually just stopped tonight and picked up some for the front seat-belt mounts.
'78 CJ7 -- Chevy 350 SBC, Holley 4-BBL, TH700R4, B&M Performance Shifter, Dana 300 w/ Twin Sticks, 3" Shackle Lift, 3" Body Lift, D30 Front (Disc), AMC 20 Rear w/ Moser 1-Piece, 4.10's, 35x12.50/15 General Grabber MT's, Cragar Soft 8's (15x8 w/ 4" BS)
Trombino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trombino
With regards to the 7/16-20 grade 8 bolts, the only place I was able to find them was my local small-town hardware store. The best I could do at orange and blue was grade 5. I actually just stopped tonight and picked up some for the front seat-belt mounts.
I spend more time and money in the hardware store than on auto parts for my jeep...lol
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
WSS
1972 CJ5 

This one is tied to the cage, seats and seatbelts/harnesses. The cage was built as a "family cage", so it is designed to keep my family safe. CJ tubs are not attached all that well so i decided to go the extra and build a new cage with the A and C pillar tied along with the seats tied to the cage. The rear seat is a fold and tumble bestop trailmax II. I redid the front mount to use larger hardware and thicker pivot mounts but the back uses the tumble latch.

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #11
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

wow that's a cage!

i think that is the type design where everyone climbs out/ walks away from unbelieveable destruction. you will hopefully never need it to do it's job. as the old saying go's, better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Thanks! That was my hope, I went with the "Luck favors the prepared" idea. In the research phase, I found the capsule type had better results after the fact and tying the cage into the frame was a must. It is best to have the seat tied to what ever the seatbelt is tied too. In other words, if the seat is bolted to the tub then the belts should be too and not the roll bar or frame in case of separation, then you have a compression situation! Not good.
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.