Seat Fabric - What are the pros and cons? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Seat Fabric - What are the pros and cons?

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
heath84CJ7

Seat Fabric - What are the pros and cons?

I am purchasing seats for my Jeep and wanted some opinions on fabric for them. You all know the choices - Vinyl, Cloth, or Neoprene. I am leaning towards the Cloth but at the same time I want something that water will not hurt. They say Neoprene is waterproof but I would think this is very hot in the summer. Will Vinyl hold up good?

Loooking forward to different opinions!!

heath84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

While vinylis also waterproof it to gets hot in the summer. I bought some BestTop seat covers for mine and the stay relativly cool and are water resistant. Cloth will stay cool but isnt very water resistant. I am sure you could scotch guard the cloth seats to make them more water resistant though. So many options. Hope this helps
Unread 03-27-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

bestop vinyl seats and seat covers, (or any other vinyl seat, for that matter) is about as water resitant as you can get for a reasonable amount. cloth is just fine, but it will get dirty, and it will get wet.

neoprene (IMO) sucks, it is NOT water proof, (it holds water in), it is not colorfast, and it is among the hottest of all fabrics, as it is designed to retain heat.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

watch out for "inhouse" brands from 4wd or Quadratec. They say they are "denim" but they are sort of a vinyl that rips easy. if you want real denim, spent the extra few clams and but a Bestop seat.

I sent my 4wd back because they were not what I expected. Went Bestop and am very happy.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
heath84CJ7

I am wanting the Corbeau Moab Seats so I can run the retractable 3 point harness and just trying to decide which fabric option I want to go with. I am leaning towards Vinyl at this point as cloth just doesn't seem good for a jeep but I want something that will hold up. Just worried that Vinyl will crack and tear in a year.
heath84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
NWA_CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I to am going to buy some corbeau baja seats and am going with straight vinyl. In my opinion cloth and carpet have no place even being in a jeep. I have owned my 7 for around a year now and have probably pressure washed the inside at least 20 times. The carpet or cloth wouldn't have time to dry by the time a washed it or it got rained in again. The first thing i did when I got it home was pull the carpet. It looked like it was in really good shape but once i got it up you talk about stink... mold, leaves dead bugs (lots of them), mildew you name it was underneath. This is however just my opinion and no offense to anyone with either.
83 CJ7 AMC 360, nuttered & team rushed. Dana 44 rear geared & locked, Dana 30 front geared & locked Dana 300 T. Case 4" Tough Country Lift, 1" daystar body lift, 1/2" shackle 35x12.50x15 MT MTZ's on MT classic 2's, Besrk Bumpers, Genright Tube Fenders
NWA_CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.