Seat belt issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Seat belt issue?

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 03-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
slipjoint
1981 CJ5 

Seat belt issue?

I have lap seat belts for the rear seat in my CJ – I don’t think they were OEM. I assume someone added them –

My problem is in California the law says all children less than 8 years of age or under 4’9” must use a booster seat – Problem all booster seats have a tag that says not to be used with lap belts only? I'm sure CA isn't the only state with this type of law.

I have called 4 CHP offices in the area only one said I must comply with the law.

When I had my Model A I was told that since the car didn’t come from the factory with seat belts I didn’t have to install them if I didn’t want to –

3 of the CHP officers I talked to say that they would just buckle the kids up without the booster seat but one office said I must comply by the law or I could get a $475.00 ticket.

I could fabricate a shoulder strap system but if you do that you open another can of worms because you have to have it inspected or if it should fail then you open for a law suite.

We have been foster parents for many years and right now we have 4 children under 8 years old – they love the jeep & that’s why I bought the jeep in the first place was to be able to pack up a bunch of sling shots & take the kids out for a ride – they get excited just riding on a dirt road in 2 wd as long as they are in a Jeep!~

I guess I could strap in a couple of regular car seats in the back seat & if I get a kid that to big for the car seat I just won’t worry about it?

Any suggestions? - tom

slipjoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Move?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

We have the same law in NJ. But I don't drive with.the kids in the Jeep. But depending on the size and weight of the kids, I would purchase 2 of the largest car seats I could find with the 5 point harness. Then use the lapbelt to strap them in and anchor the tether strap to some place in the cargo area. That will hold them in place. The other option is the YJ family roll bar from an 92-95 YJ. That has 3 point seat belts and is a direct swap in 79-86 CJ7.
Now I understand the fostor care part as I have done that was well, talking all the class, interveiws etc... Then caring for some elses child. We had a 6 week old baby girl for a few months. It was one of the best experiances. My 3 boys loved her.
So know the system and having kids of my own that what I would do.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm
Move?
X2 or fatten up the kids?

Add a YJ bar and rear belts, will look stock and doubt CHP would know its not stock.
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

They did come with seatbelts. Whether or not your back seat is stock... I don't know.

I would go to the DMV and ask how a 1969 Camaro or even a Chevelle would comply. Same problem, but you might get a more sympathetic answer. (ie, a Camaro is enclosed, whereas a CJ is "adventerous")

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Isn't the whole reason for a booster seat to get the child's shoulder high enough that the shoulder belt works? Seems that if the car doesn't have a shoulder belt then the booster seat isn't needed.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
jimark
1979 CJ7 

I drilled out my roll bar and got a set of shoulder belts and the mounting bolts from an old cj and installed them. I had a machine shop make the unique insert and welded it in, works great, I feel better when my son drives it.
jimark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I have 4pt belts in all my seats. The cops have never said anything when I had the kids buckled into the back.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
slipjoint
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Move?
CA isn't the only state - you can go back to smoking a joint now -
Unread 03-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

That wouldn't be my only reason to NEVER live in CA......

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
INowUnderstand
1986 CJ7 

A booster seat is designed to work with a shoulder belt to put child in proper alignment. If you have lap belts there is no point to a booster seat.Now you have to worry about the dangers of lap belts. I think they cause spinal injuries if I remember right. That's why they got rid of them.

I plan on using my car seat until my son is to big. Rated to 70 lbs. I am also installing the rear rock hard cage and will be putting in back shoulder belts and installing a back seat with head rest already have the front cage installed.
INowUnderstand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #12
slipjoint
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
That wouldn't be my only reason to NEVER live in CA......
Your saying the Seattle area is any better? - We had a home in Washington for 30 years, so i know a little about your area - - another great reply from a guy in a pot state - I see where your state troopers are going to start taking blood test during a traffic stop - yeah - great state you live in - enjoy it - We have about 1,000 people a day moving out of CA - that's a good thing - most are coming your way to enjoy your new laws - We have a daughter living in North Bend - She's a manager of a retail store -She is thinking about moving - it was such a beautiful little town - Now you go outside, the beautiful is still there but all you smell is dope - what a shame - so sad
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipjoint View Post
- it was such a beautiful little town - Now you go outside, the beautiful is still there but all you smell is dope - what a shame - so sad

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by INowUnderstand View Post
A booster seat is designed to work with a shoulder belt to put child in proper alignment. If you have lap belts there is no point to a booster seat.Now you have to worry about the dangers of lap belts. I think they cause spinal injuries if I remember right. That's why they got rid of them.

I plan on using my car seat until my son is to big. Rated to 70 lbs. I am also installing the rear rock hard cage and will be putting in back shoulder belts and installing a back seat with head rest already have the front cage installed.
That's what I did and it worked out well.

10129 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipjoint View Post
Your saying the Seattle area is any better? - We had a home in Washington for 30 years, so i know a little about your area - - another great reply from a guy in a pot state - I see where your state troopers are going to start taking blood test during a traffic stop - yeah - great state you live in - enjoy it - We have about 1,000 people a day moving out of CA - that's a good thing - most are coming your way to enjoy your new laws - We have a daughter living in North Bend - She's a manager of a retail store -She is thinking about moving - it was such a beautiful little town - Now you go outside, the beautiful is still there but all you smell is dope - what a shame - so sad
This state is going to hell in the handbasket because of the people moving here from CA. This is why I'm looking at moving to Idaho.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.