Searching for the golden tuning - Page 45 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Searching for the golden tuning

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #661
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

The popping on decel is normal if you have a nice crisp lean idle mixture. Because your decelerating and your off the gas, its running on the idle circuit so there isn't enough fuel at the given speed and load, so you'll get the lean popping/burbling. (sounds awesome with headers)

Shawn could probably explain it better.

I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #662
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

I6CJ7,

Thanks, I figured this out after I posted that. Should have followed up on that post too...Anyways, it started to happen more when I turned my screws in to 1.25 turns out from 2.0, and as you said when you lay off the gas your running on the lean mixture of the idle circuit.

Thanks for chiming in with that.

SC
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #663
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Yup no problem! At idle you should have a lean miss or stumble about every 7-8 seconds i believe, when its perfect.
And that lean popping will increase like you said as your lean out the screws more.

I love the sound of my headers, i need to get a sound clip of them.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #664
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Touchdown with the two point conversion!

Touchdown obviously is that I passed smog.

Two point conv is that I went to a smog guy that knows his stuff about carbed wheeling rigs. He asked me how I tuned it and before he even put the probes in the exhaust, he turned my idles 1/3 turn in, and then he probed it and it passed smog! He said the vac tuning makes it too "fat" (see! He knows his terminology).

After the test he ran it on diagnose so he could see my numbers in real time, and he said I'm a jet lean on my mains. Good to know.

Then we BS'd about carbs for a sec. He asked me how I like the Holley off camber to which I replied about its painful weaknesses. You'll like this one Matt, he then recommended a Qjet and told me some shocking stories about what he's seen Qjets do offroad.

As if I wasn't sold before, I'm really sold on a qjet now!
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #665
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Thats Good news.

Ask Matt who one of the guys was who recommend the Q-jet.

How's the job going so far?
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #666
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
Thats Good news.

Ask Matt who one of the guys was who recommend the Q-jet.

How's the job going so far?
Bill
If I remember correctly it was some guy named Pappa Billy, whoever that is

And I'm officially done with my last job, and I start the new one Monday. I'm psyched!!
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #667
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
As I understand it, the color change on the ground strap is an indication of heat range and timing, with heat range having the greatest effect.

To me, your plugs appear to have the correct heat range, your mixture looks good, and you could use slightly more timing.

Do you really think fuel was flowing thru the vent, causing flooding, on an incline? I'll be interested to see if your extension fixes that problem.

Matt
Hey guys, it's been a while for this thread, but...

Matt,

there wasn't an issue with fuel coming out of my float bowl vent after all. Remember that crazy fuel tube contraption thing I made? I'll repost the pic soon. My lean back stumble is something else. Probably a lack of a Qjet
image.jpg  
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:24 AM   #668
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Ah man, I wanted to see how ASteve's tune turned out. Wanted to know if Dada ever got married. Why do you guys leave us hanging like this?
AZ_Chip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #669
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Chip
Ah man, I wanted to see how ASteve's tune turned out. Wanted to know if Dada ever got married. Why do you guys leave us hanging like this?
Not sure about Steve's tune, but I've been happily married for just over a year now!

As a random update, since I'm here, the best tuning things I've done for the jeep:

1. Ditched the summit dizzy for a DUI dizzy
2. Ditched the Holley for a Motorcraft 2150 from an AMC 360
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #670
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Could this thread be used to get tuning advice from the masters if I were working on a 258 with a non stepper BBD?

Or is this cool V8 engines only?
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #671
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locohosa View Post
Could this thread be used to get tuning advice from the masters if I were working on a 258 with a non stepper BBD?

Or is this cool V8 engines only?
It's best to start your own thread, so information doesn't get confused.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #672
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
Not sure about Steve's tune, but I've been happily married for just over a year now!

As a random update, since I'm here, the best tuning things I've done for the jeep:

1. Ditched the summit dizzy for a DUI dizzy
2. Ditched the Holley for a Motorcraft 2150 from an AMC 360
Thanks! I was wondering if stock carb was the way to go on my 360. I don't know if the Edelbrock intake would accept a 2150. I am having a hard time getting the Edelbrock Performer 1400 to run right. I took it apart yesterday and I am thinking I need a new carb or different carb. I am not very car carb experienced.

The DUI dizzy removes the coil and motorcraft box from the system?
Unread 09-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #673
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

AZ,

The Edelbrock intake is a standard square bore bolt pattern. The 2150 is a Holley bolt pattern. You would need an adapter.

Is your 1400 relatively new? What problems are you having with it? FWIW, I've been happy with my Q-jet on my 360 with a Eddy intake.

Matt
Unread 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #674
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
AZ,

The Edelbrock intake is a standard square bore bolt pattern. The 2150 is a Holley bolt pattern. You would need an adapter.

Is your 1400 relatively new? What problems are you having with it? FWIW, I've been happy with my Q-jet on my 360 with a Eddy intake.

Matt
Not new. It is a 1400 which seems to have been built over 20 yrs ago.

Problems: Rough idle, hesitation during acceleration, not sure if electric choke is working, main jet on one side. But so many I am not wanting to fix it. It takes a lot of time to troubleshoot all these and I would like to drive soon and not be in the shop all this fall. I still need to re-route my fuel line from fuel pump.

In all I have many issues and no manual to work from. I have a vacuum switch on the intake with a brown wire going somewhere, I have vacuum switches with no lines, I had a vacuum line taped up. Being trying to fix all these just a little overwhelming at times. I am not usually a parts changer. I don't mind troubleshooting. But it builds up and I get a lot from this forum but still some questions are unanswered.
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #675
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

First step...get a factory service manual for the year of your CJ. Without that, you're just chasing your tail.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.