Searching for the golden tuning - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Searching for the golden tuning

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #646
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Daniel,

Me too...I've been reading and reading about:
  • Fuel line set up
  • Dead head fuel regulators
  • Fuel line sizing
  • Return line vs no return line
  • 90* angles in fuel lines
  • Fuel Pumps
  • Float settings for Holley
  • Heat shields
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator Mounting brackets
  • The list goes on...

Anyways, my Jeep is running but with my Fuel Pressure Regulator completely open. It will not run for a long period of time with the fuel pressure regulator adjusted to proper pressure. Venturies start to dribble after engine is warmed up for a bit and floods.

I'll figure this out later, and move onto my advance curve. I have some springs to mess with, but not sure they are stiff enough to what I currently have. I'll find out once I rip into my dizzy though...

I hope all is well with you Daniel. Also, I think your Mom's shop might be a blessing in disguise...Take her shop to a new level...customer service is huge!

All the best.

SC

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #647
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve
Daniel,

Me too...I've been reading and reading about:

[*]Fuel line set up[*]Dead head fuel regulators[*]Fuel line sizing[*]Return line vs no return line[*]90* angles in fuel lines[*]Fuel Pumps[*]Float settings for Holley[*]Heat shields[*]Fuel Pressure Regulator Mounting brackets[*]The list goes on...

Anyways, my Jeep is running but with my Fuel Pressure Regulator completely open. It will not run for a long period of time with the fuel pressure regulator adjusted to proper pressure. Venturies start to dribble after engine is warmed up for a bit and floods.

I'll figure this out later, and move onto my advance curve. I have some springs to mess with, but not sure they are stiff enough to what I currently have. I'll find out once I rip into my dizzy though...

I hope all is well with you Daniel. Also, I think your Mom's shop might be a blessing in disguise...Take her shop to a new level...customer service is huge!

All the best.

SC
That's great advice Steve! Thanks! I've been doing my best and its working out well, they've started to trust me with more major work. Like today I started and almost finished a rearend swap on newer mustang. Same axle as before, but the newer housing had upgraded axles, and a larger spline count pinion. Bummer is yolk on the new axle isn't compatible, but mustang parts are cheap. By almost finished i mean it needs a yolk, then I'll put the brakes on and the wheels and be done. Also did three oil changes all in 5 hours.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #648
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so maybe you guys can help.

I redid most of my wiring and got it to where I should be able to start her up I put a little gas in the carb and cranked and got nothing any suggestions?
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #649
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Just to be clear, does the starter turn the crank, but the engine doesn't fire? Or does the starter not turn, and all you get is a "click" when you try to start?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #650
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Just to be clear, does the starter turn the crank, but the engine doesn't fire? Or does the starter not turn, and all you get is a "click" when you try to start?

Matt
Crank but no fire
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #651
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Pull a plug wire, stick an old plug in it, and set it near a ground. Then crank the engine. If you don't see a spark, it's most likely the ICM wiring.

Matt
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #652
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Well...I'm still here. I have the fuel issue all sorted out and the jeep is running great! I've put 4 tanks of gas through the new set up and I'm getting around 12 MPG around town driving. Before I was getting around 8-11 but the 11 was a rare thing with 9 being a good average. So, I did pick up 3 MPG which is a good thing...

Mixture screws are set out at 1.25 turns with 16" of manifold vacuum. Seems that's the sweet spot...

Problem I'm having right now is that in decel my mufflers are popping and assume this is a manifold leak. This all started when I installed the thick gasket between the intake and carb. I need to correct this first and get back to the tune...

Sorry guys, but be patient...I'm getting there ...

SC
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #653
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

So to pilot this thread for a while, my CJ refused to pass smog, and then failed again after me tuning it. So I've been kicking myself thinking my tune is apparently a golden turd, but i was pondering this evening why it would pass last year while running like crap, but won't pass this year running like a beast, and I think I may have realized it.

For information's sake, I failed because at idle I produce double the CO and double the hydrocarbons I should indicating I was too rich. So I put leaner main jets in it (because its hot now and the mains effect the idle slightly), then I vac tuned the idle screws. I dropped my hydrocarbons close to passing, but my CO went up!?

So I did some readings and it seems retarding your timing and retuning will lower your numbers. Then I realized since I run on manifold vac, my timing at idle is very high! Correlation! So I think I will simply port my vacuum advance and try it again when I get the chance.

What do the pros say?
Unread 06-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #654
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Yeppers. Drop the initial down a couple of degrees and get it back on ported vacuum advance. Once you pass, make it run like it should again

Shawn

Edit: Now that I think about it, that should've been mentioned. My bad
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #655
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Yeppers. Drop the initial down a couple of degrees and get it back on ported vacuum advance. Once you pass, make it run like it should again

Shawn

Edit: Now that I think about it, that should've been mentioned. My bad
No worries man. A Lot of good info has been learned here in this thread, and now this will stick extra hard with me

If I pass tomorrow, I'll be stoked that I figured it out! If not, I'll try something new.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #656
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Daniel,

Great work! I would of totally forgot about the manifold vac advancing the timing at idle...fingers crossed and I can't wait to hear what happens tomorrow.

Hey, on another note...when you plot your centrifugal curve is it necessary to plug the end of the vacuum line that is attached to the distributor or does it matter?

SC
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #657
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve
Daniel,

Great work! I would of totally forgot about the manifold vac advancing the timing at idle...fingers crossed and I can't wait to hear what happens tomorrow.

Hey, on another note...when you plot your centrifugal curve is it necessary to plug the end of the vacuum line that is attached to the distributor or does it matter?

SC
Thanks Steve! I think I'll postpone the test until the weekend. I'd have to leave the jeep in an unattended, unsurveillanced parking garage in downtown loonyville for 12 hrs while I'm at work in hopes of making it to the smog place by 7 PM. I got to thinking about how sketchy that was, an then I backed out. But Saturday is the day!

Also, it shouldn't matter if you don't plug the dizzy end of the vac line. There's no way anything can draw enough vac through that line to change the timing. And it's likely you wouldn't get contaminants in the few moments it would be disconnected.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #658
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Thanks Daniel.

I figured, but just wanted to make sure I was not missing something...

Good luck!

SC
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #659
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Steve, if you disconnect the vac line at the dizzy, while keeping it hooked up to a vac source, then yes you will need to plug the line.

If you disconnect the vac advance line at the source, then you need to cap the source.

Clear as mud?

Matt
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #660
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Got it!

Still need to plot my curve one more time...just to make sure I'm reading what I'm reading...

SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.