Searching for the golden tuning - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Searching for the golden tuning

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #151
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Nice job, dude. That's a nice drive too.

I'm sure the EPA will be screwing with our fuel blends here pretty soon so don't pull your hair out too much.

Shawn

Unread 09-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #152
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv
Its been a while, but here is a small update on my golden DD tune.

I took the CJ and the GF up to Lake Tahoe last week. The drive is a steep and windy two lane road at 45 MPH that very often sees 20 MPH corners. The grade must be anywhere between 6-8%. The CJ had enough grunt to pull the entire hill in 4th gear! In fact, I only shifted down once to gain speed quicker for a guy behind me, but most of the time, taking the corners at 30 MPH (yes she is that stable now) I was able to accelerate in a decent amount of time and reach 50 MPH before the next turn. This puts my RPMs at around 1500 at 30 MPH and 2300 at 50 MPH. I also had no heating issues whatsoever, and the oil pressure was peaches. I couldn't ask anything better from that ol motor, and I think I really did nail the tune. It did smell a little rich up the hill, but the power valve was open the entire time I'm sure. Keep in mind that I'm only running a 350 CFM carb . I took the same road back and later checked the mileage at 13.3 MPG I cant wait to see what she'll do when I get a Qjet or TA on there!

This is how close the tuning is: I filled up at a different gas station than normal, and the next day I noticed the motor would hesitate while accelerating off of PTC. I chalked it up to the colder weather making a leaner mixture, but soon remembered that a leaner mix burns slower! I then noticed at several errand stops that there was water basically dripping out of both exhaust pipes. We here in Reno have access to primarily California gas, and it is known to contain a significant amount of water. I bet the crap gas I bought lowered the octane rating just enough to give me early signs of detonation off of PTC even though it was premium. So I backed the vac cannister adjustment out 1/2" turn causing the vac advance to come in at a little higher vacuum, and that seemed to fix the problem this morning. No more crap gas for me!

I still may go one size main jet leaner, I smell fuel and I can't determine whether its the mix or the old cracked fuel fill and vent tube from the tank.

Looking forward to your 304 tuning 8Pitcher! Hurry up already!
Haha. Let me get her on the frame first. And that won't be for two weeks as my dad is goin out of town to Montana and I have to have a skid steer to get her onto the frame. But soon much much sooner than I had expected to. My original date for this was around thanksgiving and now before Halloween
Built Not Bought #640[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #153
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454
Nice job, dude. That's a nice drive too.

I'm sure the EPA will be screwing with our fuel blends here pretty soon so don't pull your hair out too much.

Shawn
Ugh! Don't say that! I'm switching everything to LPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

Haha. Let me get her on the frame first. And that won't be for two weeks as my dad is goin out of town to Montana and I have to have a skid steer to get her onto the frame. But soon much much sooner than I had expected to. My original date for this was around thanksgiving and now before Halloween
Good news on the fast process! Too bad you have to wait two weeks for the lift :/
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #154
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Dada,

Congrats on a successful and well documented tuning job. I've enjoyed your thread.

I'll be tackling the fine tuning on this beast, when I get it swapped into the my CJ.

Matt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esjwPLQHMWw&feature=plcp
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #155
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

It never gets old, does it Matt

Shawn
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #156
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Good news on the fast process! Too bad you have to wait two weeks for the lift :/
Ya it is fine though give me time to make sure everything Is buttoned up perfectly so I don't do anything really bad.

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

Unread 09-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #157
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Dada,

Congrats on a successful and well documented tuning job. I've enjoyed your thread.

I'll be tackling the fine tuning on this beast, when I get it swapped into the my CJ.

Matt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esjwPLQHMWw&feature=plcp
Good to hear from you Matt, did you get your elk??

Damn that motor sounds sickeningly delicious! I can't wait to see you plug that beast into the CJ and scoot!

I've been thinking about the 304 I have on the stand. When I rebuild that, I'm going to build it up strictly for propane. That means 11:1 comp!! It should put out some decent ponies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher

Ya it is fine though give me time to make sure everything Is buttoned up perfectly so I don't do anything really bad.
That IS a good thing!
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #158
8pitcher
bad*** jeeper

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Good to hear from you Matt, did you get your elk??

Damn that motor sounds sickeningly delicious! I can't wait to see you plug that beast into the CJ and scoot!

I've been thinking about the 304 I have on the stand. When I rebuild that, I'm going to build it up strictly for propane. That means 11:1 comp!! It should put out some decent ponies!

That IS a good thing!
My dad is going on a two week elk hunt. That would be Fun

Propane is cool. It would be cool to do that.

I know. After putting 30 STRAIGHT hrs into that engine I don't wanna mess it up.

Unread 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #159
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Plopped those leaner jets into the carb, gas smell is a little less, but still there. Beginning to think it is the fill tube or the breather tube.
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #160
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Try that. I eventually did that carb filter to the lines and it made a world of difference. Sounds like you have everything else in place.
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #161
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs
Try that. I eventually did that carb filter to the lines and it made a world of difference. Sounds like you have everything else in place.
Carb filter?? World of difference?? Please do tell! What exactly do you mean?
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #162
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Sorry for the false optimism. No carb filter other than stock with return at 12 o' clock. Mixture of apple spell check and me working more than 36 hours.
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #163
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

I was meaning the breather or charcoal filter from the tank and bowl
Unread 09-27-2012, 12:56 AM   #164
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Oh yeah, I've heard the charcoal canister helps the fuel smell. I've got a goofy tank issue with my fuel lines I need to figure out, plus the fill tubes. Hopefully that helps.
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #165
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I dropped another step leaner main jet into the beast, and the fuel smell is much less, but I got really minor lean condition issues like slight hesitation under roll on throttle. I initially thought it was the vac canister again, but I let it be because I didn't hear any pinging.

I then went wheeling, found out something cool about how the winch was grounded, melted a wire into my batter, and spilled acid all over the side of my motor. This ruined my plug wires, oil pressure tubing, and some wire loom. fortunately I was able to make it home before I sprung a big oil leak from that tube. I then replaced the battery, oil line, wire loom, and all plug wires.

The nice thing in all this was it pushed me into my plug wire mod I was planning on making in the future anyway. Here are some pics.

image.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_4.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
photo.jpg

I got MSD 8.5 Super Conductor wires, and I cut, crimped, and wire routed all of them to custom size for the 304 Now I don't have plug wires all jumbled up and draped over the metal valve covers.

After the wire install, my base advance was 2* more advanced, and my barely detectable lean condition became quite pronounced (at the time I wasn't sure if it was a lean condition or too much vac advance). I backed the base advance down 2* and turned the vac canister out two full turns, but this morning I still felt the lean condition, so I'm positive I need to put those richer jets back in the carb, and then I'm all set again.

The fact that the plug wires advance and leaned my motor noticeably makes me excited for the 304s potential performance gains!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.