Searching for Edelbrock... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Searching for Edelbrock...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2002, 04:05 AM   #1
Guy Hollister

Searching for Edelbrock...

Hey ... Happy new year and all that bollocks.

CJ7 1984, RHD, 258, Power brakes and steer.

I have the stock BBD carb on it at the moment and it runs like a dead dog. I have a 600 cfm edelbrock 4bbl carb in the box and am searching for the inlet manifold for this kit. I know - i know... get them together... but i didn't... and now im paying for it... Edelbrock claim they dont do inlets GREAT ! And sent me to crane cams - who don't reply to email. I believe I have found the fit with Clifford who inform me that their inlet and spacer will go just fine... HOWEVER, once i get it im dead if they don't fit right when i take em apart... HOW can i check this and who with ? Is there someone else out there that has an edelbrock carb 600cfm and has mated it to a 258 ? Also what other parts do i need - Bob at 4WD hardware informs me that the offenhauser would fit but the universal linkage I need would not fit with my power brakes... so the inlet is out altogether then, is there no end to this ?

Help !!

Thanks
Guy - London UK.

Unread 01-10-2002, 07:04 PM   #2
JerDog53

Aa 600cfm Carb on a 258I6..... I got one of them on my 400 Ford v8. You sure that is not too much carb?!
JerDog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2002, 02:32 AM   #3
JIM79CJ7

Hey GUY ,
Welcome back ! As far as Clifford goes I've always had good Luck with them and my dealings go back to the days of "clifford research" . They make a fine product .
GOOD LUCK ,
JIM

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
Guy Hollister

Too much ? errrr whats the worst that could happen ? HONEST ! I have no idea !

I plan to chuck in the appropriate cam - be that whatever the majority of you suggests !

Edelbrock do however do cams as do Crane Cams.

Guy
Unread 01-11-2002, 10:11 AM   #5
Guy Hollister

JerDog53 Which air filter have you got ?

I've a ProFlo "fly eye" type which is niiice. Although cud get a bit gummed with MUD when i hit the road bigtime. Whenever that IS !

Guy
Unread 01-11-2002, 03:11 PM   #6
Darko

Havent seen ya for a while guy. I would stay away from a 600 CFM, that is way too much for a 258. Also It would not work with the power brakes. Your best bet would be to get a weber. I just bought one used for $150. Or you could convert to FI, but then you will have to worry about messing yourself. I knew a guy who had a 600CFM with a offenhauser intake, he said it was muggy until 3 or 4 thousand RPM when the carb could finally open up. Or you can go to http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html and fix your carter, and have it running good again.
Unread 01-12-2002, 03:42 AM   #7
Guy Hollister

Hey Darko,

I will have huge pleasure in smashing the Carter with a large sldge hammer so no other poor sod becomes victim of its spell.

About the Edelbrock... uh oh... i own it now. Muggy ? Whats that ? Same as chuggy ? gluggy ? I'm gona need it to be PERFECT - idle as low as possible - and go like stink at 5000 when i need to fly up vertical cliffs of mud or back over Suzukis in my way.

I know this may sound STUPID but I really don't want to have to sell it or return it [if i can], is there a way to limit it ?

Other than that - its going on - with the Clifford till i hear otherwise from forums and we'll see what I get. I Hope to be able to swap in a 360-454 ?? in about 6-12 months £ prevailing.

Cheers
Guy
Unread 01-18-2002, 08:03 AM   #8
Rip

Guy, its me your buddy Rip
I run a clifford and a 500 CFM 2 barrel holley, I have my float level set low. and it works awesome! I also went to a junk yard and found a neat air cleaner adapter off a propane powered motor home motor. It mounts the same as a regular air cleaner but extends forward at an angle so you can mount a larger air cleaner on it. I will send you a Picture. I dont know how to put one on here or link it. but I have your email so I will send you a picture. The 4 barrel is a bit much. Plus on the straight up and straight down stuff the back 2 barrels tend to puke fuel causing a flood out....Rip
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2002, 08:05 AM   #9
Rip

Don't go with a weber, I had one I didn;t like it. Plus your are limited to a very small air cleaner. Get the 500 CFM holly 2 barrel...Rip
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2002, 05:54 AM   #10
Guy Hollister

my ISP are crap and have been bouncing everyones mail... mine incl... so keep trying.... if your getting bounces to me...

thx

Guy

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.