Scrambler-what to look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Scrambler-what to look for?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
8679cjs
1986 CJ7 

Scrambler-what to look for?

Can you guys tell me what the big advantages are in wheelin with a Scrambler and how rare they really are. I've heard alotta stories about 20K made and 10K sent overseas??? The size of the interiors are obviously bigger and better as is the wheelbase. Are the gas tanks larger? I just sold one of my CJ-7's today and I'm lookin for something different........

8679cjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2005, 06:48 PM   #2
ollietonk
1986 CJ7 

I really like the Scramblers, wish I had one, but I don't see them as being all that rare. There arn't as many of the 8's as the 5's and 7's, but you can find a bunch of them on Ebay everyday. Maybe not the best (cheapest) place to get one but they are around. I've never wheeled one, but the interiors look smaller than the 7's if you've got a cab top on it. Still wish I had one and I'm watching the roadside everywhere I go to find that rare bargain.

I found one maybe 2 years ago in NH that was in great shape, 1 owner (only drove it to church (thru deep mud bogs)) and he only wanted $1800 for it. It did have a 4 cylinder but that could be changed. I had my 7 torn apart in the garage and needed my $$ to finish it so I had to pass. There's alway tomorrow
Unread 12-03-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
John N
1981 CJ8 

Do some reading over on http://www.cj-8.com/forum/ . It's the best site for Scramblers. They are the same as a 7, only longer. You can change the top and use either a half cab, full top (hard or soft) or no top. The divider is removable that makes it a half cab. CJ back seats are a bolt-in, you can even fit 2 rows in there. Once you go longer, you won't go back. For trail riding, you'll drag the tail occasionally, which is why they're refered to as 'taildraggers', but you'll love the extra room. I'm not too biased....am I? And yes, I've owned 5s, 7s and now an 8; plus full size, a J-10 and Grands.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
rjcj-8

John biased , never
But yeah as John said go over to cj-8.com and look around. A wealth of knowledge and a great group of guys
rjcj-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
8679cjs
1986 CJ7 

Thanks John that was very informative...I am obsessing a lil bit not like I'm alone in that problem. I like what I see and what got me started was seeing a full hard topped CJ-8 at a local Jeep graveyard. They are so cool looking. They arent that rare apparently but they are going for more moolah. Damn and I thought I was gonna stay with one Jeep. This will be hard to pass up. Those CJ-8's are bad ***...still cant fit my quad in it...oh well The Toyota seats look great in the back too
Thx for the links!
8679cjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2005, 08:47 AM   #6
John N
1981 CJ8 

Even if the Scrambler in the boneyard is wasted, grab the full top. It'd be fiberglass and fixable, even if it's damaged. Full tops, again not super rare, are expensive and not too easy to find, if you want one. Usually pretty saleable too. Then you've got one when you find the right Scrambler, but it has a half cab.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

I had restored my 7, and it was sweet. But I got the 8 itch, and found it would not go away, so I bought one, and had to sell the 7. Yes, with the half top on, it's smallish inside, yes the bed is too small to be truly usefull for a lot of things (but plenty good for other stuff), but damn its cool. And while I've had to (and am no where near done) fix nearly everything on it, I think I have found my "forever" CJ. Rare is relative, but they are unique, and, I think, make for a more practical toy compared to a 7. The only thing I miss is the ability to turn around in a tiny area.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.